Why become a member? ×

DiMarzio DP127

I have an idea that I would like, some day, to replace the stock pickups in my Warlock, which means replacing two sets of split pickups. Mainly for aesthetic reasons I'd quite like to put twin blade pickups in there, so I am having a curious about the DiMarzio DP127 and wondering if anyone has any experience with them? The bass is active and I'd like it to remain so, though I do plan on installing an active/passive switch.

I am also considering building my own 3 band preamp to replace the current one. Actually, there's not going to be much if the original left once I've replaced the bridge saddles and the nut, which I intend to do this month once I've got the tap and die set that my wife is buying me for my birthday.

I tried a set some years ago. They sounded "thick" to me - the pickup is essentially two mini-humbuckers. Each segment has two coils wired in series which increases mids, then the two segments are themselves wired in series, which increases mids some more, then all that is combined with the rails, which with more metal than standard alnico magnet slugs, increases the inductance of the coils, which also increases mids even that much more. This is in spite of what DiMarzio says the pickups sound like in their tone chart. I mean, altogether there is @20kohms' worth of wire; unless the two segments are wired in parallel they just can't have the mid drop that is advertised in the company literature.

Bugger, that's a shame. It was the reported increase of the bass and treble ends that I was after, as well as them looking cool.

EDIT: I found this [url="http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9433398&q=hi&newref=1"]sound demo[/url] (couldn't get it to work before, for some reason, but it's working now) and I have to say I like the sound of them especially the last few parts with the pick (I am a pick player).

Edited by KingBollock

That was my experience. Your mileage may vary. They make a solid top version called the "Will Power" that is supposed to be a full range pickup. Joe Barden makes a rails-type P bass pickup that is extended range like the other pickups he makes. [url="http://www.joebarden.com/main.php?section=Products&pageID=PBass"]http://www.joebarden.com/main.php?section=Products&pageID=PBass[/url]