Why become a member? ×

5 string neck advice

clashcityrocker

Hi all,I'm after aanother go on the 5 string bass but was just looking for a bit of advice...
My main Bass is a 4 string MM Sterling so the neck is tiny,which I love,so I have always thought I would need a small necked (tight string spacing) 5 string like an Ibanez but I found on the VM squire 5 string that I was quite lost,playing the B alot when I was meant to be hitting the E. So I don't know wether I should get a standard string spaced neck so it's easier to hit the right strings or a smaller string spaced neck so the jump in neck sizes isn't so big....any advice?!
Thanks
Simon

I have a small hand and previously played narrow spacing basses - a Hohner B Bass & a Peavey Cirrus BXP, both very good in their own way, with the Cirrus possibly being the best neck I've ever played - but I picked up a Yamaha BBG5A inexpesively which has almost 'full' spacing & quite a wide neck. At first I found it difficult but now I love it & it has become my Number 1 player.

Only thing I can suggest is to get what sounds good & persevere with the feel.

G.

To maintain any semblance of clarity of fretting, the nut width on a 5-string bass should be at least 1 3/4 inches, 44-45 mm. Yes, there are those who have converted Rickenbacker basses with their 1 9/16, 40mm nut width to 5-string, but that is really, really narrow. With proper left hand technique of keeping the thumb behind the neck, relaxing the wrist and slightly curving the fingers, it should not be a problem for hands of any size. Quite the contrary, it should help the person be a better player.

Edited by iiipopes