Why become a member? ×

Best gauge of strings to use on a 5 string

vmaxblues

What strings are you currently using and what bass are you using them with? What don't you like about them?

Gauge just one thing to consider when choosing a string. Strings that work well on one bass don't necessarily work as well on a different make/model.

Scale is quite a big factor. Using too light a string on a shorter scale bass can give you a flappy low B. On my old 35" scale Yamaha TRB I used to like a 125 low B but on my current 34" scale basses I prefer a 130. They would still cope okay with a 125 at that scale but the 130 sounds and feels that bit better to me.
Another factor is which strings you are used to on a 4 string. Might be worth trying a hybrid set to get the best overall feel for you as its not just about the low B and chances are (once you get past the initial urge to play everything on the low B that tends to come with your 1st 5 string) you'll spend most of your time using the other 4 strings!

Depends on the bass and the strings as BRX says. I use a fairly light gauge on my SR5 (Picato 40-60-80-100-125). On the other hand my TRB5 prefers a 130 B. Experiment a bit and see what works best and what you prefer. It's really the only way.

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1370692854' post='2104449']
Good feedback guys, the bass is a lovely Yamaha BBN5, the strings are Rotosound roundwounds.

On my fours I am using 105 - 45's, I like a punchy tone but with warmth.

Cheers

Stuart
[/quote]

In that case I would suggest trying virtually any other reputable brand of strings. IME Rotosound make some great standard gauge 34" scale roundwound strings, but struggle with anything else.

If you use through-body stringing it might be worth trying a set with a taper-wound B.

It's all personal preference really, you just need to experiment and find what works for you. In the last 12 months (since moving to 5s exclusively), I've gone lighter and ended up on .040"-.125" (previously Rotos, but now back on D'addario Prosteels). I was on a mission to make my basses as easy to play as possible, and combined with a low action and a lighter touch, I now find my basses so much easier to play. My hands feel much quicker and less inhibited getting around, is generally much more comfortable and easier to play.

If it's any help, I did a little poll last year to find out what other 5 string players use: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179671-5-string-players-what-gauge-strings-do-you-use/page__mode__show

Edited by TRBboy

Depends on the attack of your right hand, mostly, IMO.
If you have a strong grabby technique then you may overpower your strings.
I use a 118 B st but only get away with that set as I play light and I now use compression to
stop me chasing and digging it too much.
I like the feel of the 42-118 off my left hand but don't suffer from a lack of weight in the low end.
I don't think gauge has much to do with that....in itself, and i think the 118 is perfectly balanced in terms
of tone across the strings on my basses.

So, in short..it is more than just one component or change that makes the deal

I've just put a set of Fodera 40-120 on my Roscoe (courtesy of Molan - cheers fella) - feel much better than what were on there before...I like the way they are the same increment (0.20) between each string. Also I prefer light strings, normally 35 or 40 gauge, so may not be everybody's cappuccino...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1370773768' post='2105270']
Depends on the attack of your right hand, mostly, IMO.
If you have a strong grabby technique then you may overpower your strings.
I use a 118 B st but only get away with that set as I play light and I now use compression to
stop me chasing and digging it too much.
I like the feel of the 42-118 off my left hand but don't suffer from a lack of weight in the low end.
I don't think gauge has much to do with that....in itself, and i think the 118 is perfectly balanced in terms
of tone across the strings on my basses.

So, in short..it is more than just one component or change that makes the deal
[/quote]

Nice post. Good use of language to describe an issue many of us have with r/h technique. Especially the chasing part.
I personally run the hybrid sets (45,65,80,100,125) which help to compensate for my heavy-handedness over the G and D..