Why become a member? ×

Following on from the damaged WAL thread......

Phil Adams

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1370870450' post='2106594']
I just use the best tool for the job and don't get attached to them.
[/quote]

Where as I treat my basses like they were my children! I love them all equally but have a secret favourite!

P.s. I have no children :)

All of mine are insured for a full replacement value. I have some quite dear ones - Marleaux Consat Custom, Dingwall ABZ5 and the Zon Hyperbass.

I'd be upset if any of them got damaged, but that is why they are insured. The Zon would probably be the biggest pain in the arse to sort out as it would probably take 3 years to get a replacement delivered.

I don't bother with insurance, because I'm under no illusions that it ever actually works. Both of my basses are around the £1200 price mark, my pedalboard around £700, my amp and cab collectively around £1500. By gigging a £200 bass I'd be reducing the potential replacement cost from £3400 to £2400. Okay, a considerable saving, but the thought of digging up £2.5k definitely doesn't appeal to me regardless of the situation.

If I gigged on a cheaper bass, I'd still be using an expensive rig. I keep my basses in their case between sets (because in a room full of people you don't know, you'd have to be batshit insane not to, without bringing booze into the equation). As likely a cause of damage as anything is the PA toppling over, and then what it hits is anyone's guess, especially in a crowded pub set-up. My amp, cab and pedalboard are all potential targets, and no more built to withstand 100lbs of speaker cabinet and potentially one drunken idiot landing on them with force than my basses. So do I use a cheaper rig and board too? If I go that far, what's the point in owning nice gear just to sit and look at when I'm at home because I'm too afraid to take it to a gig?

If a gig is too dodgy/risky, I simply won't play it. If I consider a bars patrons particularly liable to damage my bass, I'm not leaving my rig sat around them either, and I can't just put that in the case between sets. A bit of judgement and basic precaution has served me well for hundreds of gigs.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1370885919' post='2106924']
One of the criteria I used when buying my bass was; would I be happy gigging it?
[/quote]

Given the post directly above, I had to laugh when I saw this.

Edited by Ziphoblat

Personally (and your view may vary) I can't see much point in having an instrument too valuable or delicate to play at a gig (I don't have the distraction of studio work), though the degree of watchfulness obviously varies with the value/replaceability of the instrument.

That's relatively easy to say for my basses, the most expensive being around £600 second hand, though not readily replaceable (US Fender Urge Mk1). However I can say that I take the same attitude with my anglo concertina which would cost many times that to replace (if I could find one), and is eminently stealable.

Actually having thought about this makes me realise how cheap playing (electric) bass is relative to some instruments. For well under 1K you can get a bass that will hold its own in the most demanding of professional situations. I don't think there are many conventional (non electric) instruments for which you could say that.

This thread just made me realise that in my dark past, I would never even think of taking a cheap organ or synth to gigs instead of the expensive stuff, but today would immediately be wary of taking a relatively expensive bass, and would need to think logic thoughts on the matter before realising I can in fact take a bass to a gig.

Fun fact is my electronic stuff cost tens of thousands (the organ alone cost like 14,000 quid in the 80s) - my bass gear maybe one tenth of that.

It's a weird thing, the psyche.

best,
bert

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1370903433' post='2107369']
Personally (and your view may vary) I can't see much point in having an instrument too valuable or delicate to play at a gig (I don't have the distraction of studio work), though the degree of watchfulness obviously varies with the value/replaceability of the instrument.

That's relatively easy to say for my basses, the most expensive being around £600 second hand, though not readily replaceable (US Fender Urge Mk1). However I can say that I take the same attitude with my anglo concertina which would cost many times that to replace (if I could find one), and is eminently stealable.

Actually having thought about this makes me realise how cheap playing (electric) bass is relative to some instruments. For well under 1K you can get a bass that will hold its own in the most demanding of professional situations. I don't think there are many conventional (non electric) instruments for which you could say that.
[/quote]

I think if you know what you are buying, there are a lot of second hand bargains to be had. I bought a lovey Aria Pro II for £130 for a beginner friend of mine. The frets were gunged up, the next had a bow, the strings were rusty. I gave him a set of my second hand strings, sorted out the bow, and left him to clean the gunge out of the frets with a toothbrush. The result is a bass I would be happy to gig as my main bass.

I use both my Warwick Fortress Masterman and a Stingray Sub (USA version).

The Fortress is the main bass and used for the gigs where we know the crowd and the venue. The Sub is used for the places where it could get a bit rough. I only take 1 or the other.

Although stuff is insured on the house insurance, I would be gutted if the Warwick got nicked.

Never had any problems with the "punters"the only damage done to a couple of basses was done by .................................Drummers :angry: who did not give a flying thing,a bass is for playing,had some really expencive ones,gigged then in some hell holes,never gave it athought....until now :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1370909385' post='2107447']
...although I can't see many punters walking off with a B3 and it's Leslie without being noticed... :mellow:
[/quote]

Hehe. Yeah, that must have been the single advantage of the whole thing. :)
Though someone nocking an expensive synth off the electric piano, or changing a few leads in a modular synth for fun could do some very expensive damage. I just forgot to be wary about it. Now I suddenly am. Old age, I guess.

b,
b

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1370875719' post='2106702']
Investment.
[/quote]

There's surely more secure and profitable ways of investing your money than a stack of musical gear that may or may not increase in value. Fine if you catch a bargain, but the money that sought after vintage stuff goes for now, is it really worth buying a shitload of it to wrap up in cotton wool and hope it's worth even more in ten years?

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1370858581' post='2106271']
So do you take your pride and joy everywhere, show it off, and love every minute, or do you go out with an "average' bass, just in case, and keep your pride and joy to yourself?
Where do you draw the line?
[/quote]

I generally dont bring the expensive basses out to covers gigs. I've had to pick the Warwick off the floor of the pub too many times. I think I've brought each of the Spectors to a covers gig one one occasion.

I recently picked up a VMJ to bring along to sessions and open mic nights as younger bassists have reservations about trying the 6 string (a cheap Brice with an upgraded Glockenklang 2-band pre)

For the originals band I only use the Spectors because nothing else gives me the sound they do.
I find that rock/metal crowds are generally more well behaved than a pub full of drunken jocks and plebs. Thats where I draw the line I suppose.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1371036172' post='2108857']
There's surely more secure and profitable ways of investing your money than a stack of musical gear that may or may not increase in value. Fine if you catch a bargain, but the money that sought after vintage stuff goes for now, is it really worth buying a shitload of it to wrap up in cotton wool and hope it's worth even more in ten years?
[/quote]
Maybe I should have said "Percieved investment potential by the owner".