Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass

ROConnell

Hi,

In the summer, I'm off playing a festival in the Isle of Wight for a period of 4 days. I'm playing one set amplified, as my band usually are but then two sets, completely un amplified, where I will need an Acoustic Bass.
I can't justify buying one, money is tight and there's a very slim chance I would need one again so soon, I can just picture it all alone, underplayed in my room.

So does anyone know of any places where I can rent out an Acoustic Bass for that small period of time? I'm located in Coventry, West Midlands if that helps.

Cheers.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1371065973' post='2109467']
IME, if you're working with more than one guitarist then forget the acoustic bass route.
Even with a good quality acoustic bass you'll struggle to be heard.
[/quote]

Guitars too loud?

Surely not! :o

If there really is no amplification for the instruments you will either need a very large bodied acoustic bass like a Takamine TB10 or if you can find one an Earthwood - and even then I'd want to test it out in a band setting to make sure you can be heard. Failing that you'll need a proper double bass. If there is amplification just use your normal electric bass as it will sound better.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1371065973' post='2109467']
IME, if you're working with more than one guitarist then forget the acoustic bass route.
Even with a good quality acoustic bass you'll struggle to be heard.
[/quote]

This. Even against one good acoustic guitar, an acoustic bass can struggle without some electric amplification.