Why become a member? ×

Roland Cube 100 v's TC BG250

Guest MoJo

One of the bands I play with DI's or mic's everything into the PA so all I require is a suitable small combo to act as an onstage monitor. In the past, I have used a Hartke Kickback 12 which, positioned by my feet, had to be driven hard to be heard in this lively party band. I also had a Line 6 Studio 110 on a stand facing me which I loved but was just too quiet. Finally the Line 6 was replaced with an Ibanez Promethean P5110 which was plenty loud enough but I couldn't gel with it. Since then, I've been lugging my, totally unnecessary, live rock rig in and out of venues.

I currently looking at a Roland Cube 100 or 120 or a TC Electronics BG250. I've watched YouTube demos and both are well spec'd. I like the amp sims on the Roland as the covers we play are varied and require both old school and modern tones. I also like the Toneprint feature on the BG250 but can't see me going for my android phone between songs. The 15" driver and more powerful amplifier of the TC combo would stand it in good stead should an occasion arise, as it did once at a function at Old Trafford Cricket Club, where I had to play to 80 to 90 people without PA support through the Hartke Kickback.

I have a budget of around £400. I would appreciate everyone's thoughts / experiences and suggestions for other combos worth considering.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I've been using a BC100 for a while. Its solid and reliable but loud.. not a problem for you but for home use I never get it up above 25% of volume.

The output is punchy so would cut through well. I cant see your location, but if you're in the south I might be able to get it to you to try.

The built in effects effects are cool too, and can be controlled with a foot switch.

[b]Roland Bass Cube Buzzzzzzzz[/b]
For practice, I have a Cube Bass 100 and all of a sudden it has developed a major buzzing when I plug in - it is def not the lead or bass guitar and it is a constant presence. It was sitting unused for a short while and had not been dropped or anything

Anyone else had this problem and how did u manage to resolve it?