Why become a member? ×

Good Speakers for Cabs?

TheMissWolfiee

So my Guitarist friend is getting a custom built Zilla Super-Fatboy 2x12" cab built, from all his talk he's convinced me tha I want a Zilla Bass Cab built.

Honestly not a clue what kind of speakers are best for the job so to speak, I'm looking into either a 2x10" or a 2x12" cab which would be paired with my MarkBass Little Mark III head.

So... What would you guys reccomend / what wouldn't you reccomend? Or is it a bad idea all together? Throw your words of wisdom at me (though gently please - I don't want to bruise!)

That would be a warning sign to me, tbh.... but as for config, I wouldn't go up against a gtr212 with a bass 210.
I favour 10's typically so would have to have 2x210... but I am not sure I'd want to be the guinea pig unless the price reflected that.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1371138010' post='2110387']
That would be a warning sign to me, tbh.... but as for config, I wouldn't go up against a gtr212 with a bass 210.
[/quote]+1. With a one octave drop in frequency range power/driver displacement demands quadruple. A 2x12 guitar versus 2x10 bass cab is a severe mismatch, like a heavyweight taking on a lightweight. Care to guess which one will lose?
[quote]They mainly do Guitar Cabs so anything about speaker reccomendations are related to guitars[/quote]With guitar you can literally stick a driver into a box and it will work well, with no engineering whatsoever. That's the complete opposite of what's required for a good bass cab.

For one cab I`d be more looking for 2x12 than 2x10, but as Bill says, it`s not just a case of putting speakers in any box. As Discreet says, I`d go straight to the company, describe the sound you like, and get them to then go through what they can do to get it for you.

Sorry to sound negative, but I can't imagine that a custom cab from a guitar speaker manufacturer is going to match let alone beat what you could buy for that money from a decent bass cab manufacturer if you do your market research. They'll just buy an off-the-shelf driver and bung it in a nice-looking box at huge markup. Box requirements for bass versus guitar are significantly different, as Bill says.

Thanks everyone!

I'm deffinatly taking all this into consideration. I've only recently moved from Combo to Head & Cab and have only really had frequent experience with an Ashdown MAG410T at college/university, every other were combos' - Ashdown Electric Blue 1x15" and my old Trace Elliot GP7SM 300 2x10". I'd prefer 2x12" but for portability a 2x10" seems like the best choice due to the lack of space in my car for transporting gear.

Think your words of wisdom have put me back on the right path :P - Out of curiousity what brands/models would you reccomend? in either the 2x10" / 2x12" format?

If you want a 2X12 cab that will sound great, go loud and be very light and portable, there is only one choice (in my humble opinion):

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve"]http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve[/url]

Or you can build (or have built) two Bill Fitzmaurice Jack 12 cabs (like I did). Though you'll mostly just use one. :)

[url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Jack.html"]http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Jack.html[/url]

Agree re Barefaced. I`d also check out Schroeder - they are small, light, and incredibly powerful. A few come up on here every now & then.

And then there`s also Markbass to match your amp. I gig with a Markbass 1x12 combo in one band (an 8-piece punky-type band) and add a 1x12 ext cab to it for the other (a full-on punk covers band).

Don't fall for the idea that 10's sound different from 12's. 10's vary and so do 12's so there is a lot of overlap in 'sound'. You can't guarantee even that 12's will be deeper never mind the rest of the frequency range. It's a bit easier to design a 12" driver that will go a bit louder or deeper but you aren't going to be designing the drive units. 2x12's can be louder/deeper than 2x10's but it depends upon who makes 'em.

Go for the sound you like, play through a speaker before buying and listen to local bands to see what they are using.