Why become a member? ×

Black Strings Advice please! :)

Hi I have looked though a number of threads about strings and can't quite find the info I am looking for.

I am doing up a 4 String Squier Precision Bass and want to fit black strings to it.

I have noticed that there are several types of black string and I'm not sure what I need to be looking for. Some seems to be coated and others are covered with black tape of somekind.

What are the differences in terms of price/sound usage etc

I think I really just need medium/ medium heavy gauge 'bog standard' steel or nickel roundwounds but just that they are coloured black but it doesn't seem to be a easy as that! Can anyone recommend some options?

Thanks!

I tried the black beauties and although the sound and look ok, I kept getting friction burns off of the coating. I moved over to Rotosound Nexus strings. Sound amazing, feel just like regular un-coated string and a lot easier on the wallet too. I won't move from them now.

I went through a phase of Rotosound Nexus then Fender Black Tapewound, which were both like roundwounds with black plastic sprayed on! Didn't get on with them so went for the full monty - GHS Black Nylon Tapewound, beautiful :) currently using them on 1 fretted & 1 fretless Jazz.

Just to clarify...

The DRs are a completely different kettle of fish to all the nylon tapewound strings that some people are comparing them to.

The DRs have a coating similar to the way Elixir strings have a coating, it's just that they do them in lots of colours. They are roundwound strings with a very very thin coating on to protect the string without changing the sound (much). They will come off pretty easily whatever colour you get, as will Elixir to some extent.

Nylon tapewound strings on the other hand sound more like flatwound stings and whatever brand you buy the nylon will not come off easily, but you will never get a roundwound string sound from them. no sir.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1371558359' post='2115443']
The nylon coated Rotosounds are the best.

The colour came off 2 sets of the DR's that I had within about 5 minutes of playing. That's with fingers, very lightly.
[/quote]
Odd.I had little trouble with the colour coming off DR's, and I beat the crap out of my strings.The colour does come off where the plectrum hits the string, but black felt pen soon fixed that.