Why become a member? ×

What Is The Best Way To Weigh A Bass ?

Dingus

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1371304016' post='2112359']
I hold the bass tight in to my body, and I think that works pretty well. The weight has always squared up to other folk's hanging scales I have used. But, who am I to argue with an astrowhatnot.
[/quote]

As I frequently tell him tell him , if he was that good an astrophysicist he would be up in space now , not living in Wales .

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1371307743' post='2112411']
From what I recall from O Level Physics (it was a long time ago and I wasn't very good at it although I did manage to get a passing grade), the whole point of the principal of moments was that the force bearing down would be the same no matter what angle you the item providing the force was at in relation to the point of contact.

I just did some real world tests with a bass and my bathroom scales and there is no difference in the combined weight of me and bass with it held directly over the scales and with me holding it by the headstock at 90° to my body with the body of the bass as far from the scales as possible.

And even if there was most sensible people would hold the bass with the body resting on their feet and the headstock at chest height directly over the platform of the scales when weighing both themselves and the bass, so the principle of moments would be having no bearing on the outcome anyway.
[/quote]

I've just phoned him and he says the reading will not be accurate in absolute terms because the process of holding the bass absorbs some of the momentum and therefore velocity and downward force , but it might not make enough significant difference to be important in this case . Don't ask me what the truth is in any of this science business is , I just do as I am told . But anyhow , if I get some accurate bathroom scales , why not just put the bass directly on the scales ?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1371305712' post='2112385']

[size=4]A couple of times I stopped for a kebab mid trial, which has affected results. I even things out with a fag and a copy of The Sporting Life upon my throne.[/size]
[/quote]:D

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1371308371' post='2112421']
why not just put the bass directly on the scales ?
[/quote]

I can never get mine to balance, without leaning it against something or holding it to stop tipping, which must absorb some of the weight side-ways-wise into the adjacent wardrobe, or yourself, or something.

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1371319912' post='2112603']
Get one of [url="https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sunday-specialbuys-16th-june/sunday-specialbuys-16th-june-product-detail/ps/p/digital-luggage-scale/"]These[/url] from Aldi and just hang it by the strap
[/quote]

But then you will weigh the strap aswell , I always find it awkward to do weighing with a strap on , you can't see the numbers properly unless you twist your hips

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1371303077' post='2112342']
A lot of folks on Talkbass use that method , but it's not going to be very accurate Because of the Principal of Moments , the act of holding the bass intoduces a measure of inertia which prevents the full weight of the bass bearing down upon the scale , according to my brother . He's an astrophysicist , but look at the bollocks up NASA made with that space shuttle , so I suppose he could be wrong .
[/quote]

Hold the bass above your head, also hold beer gut in (if you have one) this will help ensure all mass is acting through scales. Your brother might wish to revisit Newtownian equilibrium principles, or have NASA discovered something that they keep in Area 51.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1371327824' post='2112689']
Hold the bass above your head, also hold beer gut in (if you have one) this will help ensure all mass is acting through scales. Your brother might wish to revisit Newtownian equilibrium principles, or have NASA discovered something that they keep in Area 51.
[/quote]

It's unlikely my brother will revisit Newtonian equilibrium principles unless that is the name of an all you can eat restaraunt in Llandudno . Anyhow , I have hatched a cunning plan in which I will purchase both a luggage scale and bathroom scale . I will stand on the bathroom scale whilst weighing my bass with the luggage scale and the two will cancel each other out , this creating a bass that weighs nothing . Let's see your science explain that .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1371336901' post='2112803']
It's unlikely my brother will revisit Newtonian equilibrium principles unless that is the name of an all you can eat restaraunt in Llandudno . Anyhow , I have hatched a cunning plan in which I will purchase both a luggage scale and bathroom scale . I will stand on the bathroom scale whilst weighing my bass with the luggage scale and the two will cancel each other out , this creating a bass that weighs nothing . Let's see your science explain that .
[/quote]

Not true..! You've forgotten to allow for the weight of the luggage scales..! AHA..!

[attachment=136999:Aha.jpg]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1371400924' post='2113389']
I have a first class masters in mechanical engineering and I say your astrophysicist brother is talking out of his black hole! :D
[/quote]

I don't have a first class masters in mechanical engineering and I say your astrophysicist brother is talking out of his black hole, too! :D

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1371400924' post='2113389']
I have a first class masters in mechanical engineering and I say your astrophysicist brother is talking out of his black hole! :D
[/quote]

Any more of that kind of abuse and he won't let you play with his Star Wars action figures .

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1371402072' post='2113408']
I don't have a first class masters in mechanical engineering and I say your astrophysicist brother is talking out of his black hole, too! :D
[/quote]

Spaceman Dingus says that where you are both going wrong is that you are failing to take into acount that scales are usually spring - based mechanisms , and springs have their own peculiarities in terms of how they respond to energy , forces and motion , so Newton's Laws ect only apply up to a point . The spring and how it performs adds another dimension to the equation . Hooke's Law and it's variables is more pertinent in that respect than Newton's . Weighing a bass is a real-world activity , not a theoretical one , and holding the bass can effect the ultimate accuracy of the final result on a spring - based scale . Allegedly .

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1371405844' post='2113470']
Jump up and down with it round your neck for 90 minutes - if you're tired at the end then it's too heavy. ;)
[/quote]

At my age and state of fitness , if I am still alive after ninety minutes of jumping up and down I would call that a result , bass or no bass .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1371405579' post='2113467']...Weighing a bass is a real-world activity , not a theoretical one...[/quote]

Weighing a bass is nevertheless not rocket science, surely..? Folks manage to weigh babies, tuna fish and sharks, caterpillar tractors, Queen Mary II and even planets such as Jupiter (318 x weight of the Earth, apparently...).
I would suggest weighing with non-standard units, such as 'Pretty damned light', 'Oh, that's comfy', 'Hey, she's a big girl' and 'Flickin' 'ell, my back..!'. Isn't that what the Post Office do anyway..? :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1371406053' post='2113477']
Weighing a bass is nevertheless not rocket science, surely..? Folks manage to weigh babies, tuna fish and sharks, caterpillar tractors, Queen Mary II and even planets such as Jupiter (318 x weight of the Earth, apparently...).
I would suggest weighing with non-standard units, such as 'Pretty damned light', 'Oh, that's comfy', 'Hey, she's a big girl' and 'Flickin' 'ell, my back..!'. Isn't that what the Post Office do anyway..? :mellow:
[/quote]

I agree . I just want a reasonably reliable way of finding out what my basses because my little kitchen scales are accurate for weighing appropriately sized and shaped items but not really suitable for basses , as I'm sure you can imagine . All I wanted to know is what other people use and how they use it .