Why become a member? ×

Jazz, Warmoth, Bongo, Steinberger, Ibanez (PJB, Warwick)

sifi2112

Got quite a collection .. thought I'd post some pics etc

Got Steinberger as backup (great for home practice cos you just prop in any where) .. sounds pretty good, not usually a 'active' fan.
Most recent acquisition is the Bongo HS .. thought Steiny sounded good but Bongo blows it away !
Only 2 'bad' things regarding Bongo tho .. matt finish scuffs easy .. maybe not bad cos you'll tend to clean it more often !
Haven't tested / compared thoroughly enough next to 'passive' basses .. just hope it doesn't sound too good & make em redundant !
Might have to get rid of the rest or Bongo & no longer have the choice ! luxury decision I guess .. lucky to have so many nice ones to choose from.
Ibanez being stripped & made passive (Nordstrand Big Singles & HAS-sound controls) .. will post pics when finished.

Si

ps. taking Bongo to Yorkshire bash if anyone wants to try it out !

[quote name='Doc B' post='213289' date='Jun 5 2008, 03:51 PM']Nice collection indeed.

Is the Ibanez a Doug Wimbish sig?[/quote]Yep ... well it was !
Has taken me ages to sand it down (all by hand) not quite finished .. decided to wet n dry gold hardware, even harder to do !
Not into 'bling' .. guess it's just time & effort. Could've just bought new bridge / tuners .. will do next time (if ever).
Will post EMG set for sale soon, also got other pups that need new bodies !

You have a DWB3 ? Nice slim necks (like SR basses), I used to play guitar so I favour these type .. might actually become a bass player some day !

Got all the gear & only a bit of idea ! lol

Si

I'm a big fan of Doug Wimbish (especially with Living Colour) and I had considered a DWB3 but as you say they are a bit bling and I couldn't live with an orange bass!

I've gone all passive recently having sold my Status on. I just find it easier to get good sounds from passive electronics.

[quote name='Doc B' post='213332' date='Jun 5 2008, 04:40 PM']I'm a big fan of Doug Wimbish (especially with Living Colour) and I had considered a DWB3 but as you say they are a bit bling and I couldn't live with an orange bass!

I've gone all passive recently having sold my Status on. I just find it easier to get good sounds from passive electronics.[/quote]I know exactly what you mean (regarding both) .. never really liked the orange or gold hardware (will post a pic when finished, just glad I didn't sell it, nicely put together, don't care if it is Korean built, wood is great) & not sure about 'active' tho Bongo seems a bit special.
Only got 1 LC cd (somewhere buried on 20years of other cds) but Doug is a great player !

Si

ps. like the 'jazz' quote .... lol