Why become a member? ×

Swapping between 20/24 fret basses

lojo

Just acquired a new second hand bass that's 4 frets longer than my precision (std fenders I'm really comfortable with)

Now concerned that the position difference (same arm position is one tone difference) is going to confuse my playing, as on a precision I rarely have to think about or look at the fretboard as I am so used to the postioning, if I put time into my new bass am I going to undo the experience I have on my fender and always be in a state of thought between the 2 necks?

Doubt I've explained this well, but hope it makes sense

I've found that once you get used to another, going back to the one with more/less frets isn't more difficult. Only thing you can do is try using the new bass as much as possible and then once you switch back to 20 frets, it'll feel like putting on an old pair of shoes. :)

IMO you are thinking about it too much.

I play a wide variety of basses with different numbers of frets, different scale lengths, different string spacing and neck taper and it never takes me more than a minute or two to adjust.

It always amazes me when read about bassists only being about the play basses with a particular string spacing, neck profile or any other single factor. I find that it's the overall feel of the bass that is far more important than any single measurement, and the only way you can find out if it suits you is to stop looking at the specifications and actually play the thing!

I don't like to do this myself as fast slides are more positional than done with a sight reference, for example.
Also, those dark stage moments when you need a quick peak at the fretboard...??
Altho I didn't find it a huge issue going between the 2 octave necks and std, it would be a thing I would
limit when live.

Both my live basses are the same neck config now..and I am happy with that...

Edited by JTUK

When I had to hop up the neck to the dusty end I used to take my cue from the end of the fingerboard so I would somtimes end up on the wrong fret if I was on a 24 fret neck as opposed to a 20 fret neck. But after a few weeks I got used to it.

For general playing it's really not a problem.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371392338' post='2113250']
I don't get the problem? I wouldn't notice if I had frets all the way up to the pickup!
[/quote]

It's not about playing high, it's about the nut being further away, so where I'd fret an A without looking on a P bass , it would be a B on my new one.

I take the point if I put the time in I'd get used to both, silly question I suppose, but I've spent 25 years on basses with similar necks.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1371413115' post='2113642']

It's not about playing high, it's about the nut being further away, so where I'd fret an A without looking on a P bass , it would be a B on my new one.

I take the point if I put the time in I'd get used to both, silly question I suppose, but I've spent 25 years on basses with similar necks.
[/quote]
Errrr are you sure? What scale length is this new bass?

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1371413115' post='2113642']

[/quote]

Really?

Despite having all sorts of different body shapes most bass guitars conform the same basic design layout that puts the top horn level with the 12th fret and the bridge right at the far end of the body. This means that if they are all the same scale length then they should hang on the strap in the same position in relation to your body and the nut shouldn't be any further away from you.

I've only come across one bass where the overall position of the neck was shifted so much that I had to make a conscious effort to be playing in the correct place on the neck and that had a very radical design which placed the whole bridge a long way from the end of the body.

This is the main reason I have so many basses. A song is not learned until I can play it on all of them.

Learned this when, as a keyboardist, I had trouble playing well-practised music on a different keyboard. Problem was easily solved once I realised this, as after that I consistently either played the stuff on different instruments, or played them using different sets of techniques so as to "mimick" playing on a different keyboard. Worked wonders, and I became a much more usable player after that.

From what I read on BC, my feeling is that more bassists should adopt this keyboardist trick.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371415584' post='2113721']
Even a 35 inch scale bass has that extra inch divided across the whole bass so I doubt it would gain a semitone in the first 3 frets!
[/quote]
This - I can't see the problem

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1371450991' post='2113941']
I'm not kidding the nut is a whole tone further away than on the p bass, I've even found a thread on talkbass that shows an commercial made add on by steinberger to alter the strap position and bring the neck closer

It's not really a problem, like anything I'll get used to it, just after years of playing fender/stingray style basses I did not realize the neck position could vary so much between makes.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/49343-hohner-b2a-steinberger-strap-attachment/
[/quote]

I'm not kidding the nut is a whole tone further away than on the p bass, I've even found a thread on talkbass that shows an commercial made add on by steinberger to alter the strap position and bring the neck closer

It's not really a problem, like anything I'll get used to it, just after years of playing fender/stingray style basses I did not realize the neck position could vary so much between makes.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/49343-hohner-b2a-steinberger-strap-attachment/

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1371450991' post='2113941']

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/49343-hohner-b2a-steinberger-strap-attachment/"]http://basschat.co.u...rap-attachment/[/url]
[/quote]
How has that got anything at all to do with the number of frets?