Why become a member? ×

Trading and selling on Basschat seems to have dramatically declined

cloudburst

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1371408400' post='2113525']
I sold just [u]one[/u] bass on BC and the £20 was under half what it would have cost me on ebay.
[/quote]

But it would have cost you almost nothing if it hadn't sold on ebay - still £20 here if it sells or not.
The £20 fee favours those selling high value items, but not someone selling a £60 bass for example.

I paid the £20 when I was looking at selling an item, but in all honesty if it had been introduced that we all had to pay £20 to keep our membership going, sales or not, I`d have still paid the £20. Being a member of Basschat means a great deal to me, have met a lot of really great people on here, so a small "membership fee" like £20 wouldn`t put me off at all.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1371405830' post='2113469']
Also, because the forum is broken and sends you a notification for every response you get to a thread, I reckon the amount of traffic will have reduced in general. There's less reason to visit now.
[/quote]
When is it broken? I've seldom had a problem.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1371408656' post='2113532']
But it would have cost you almost nothing if it hadn't sold on ebay - still £20 here if it sells or not.
The £20 fee favours those selling high value items, but not someone selling a £60 bass for example.
[/quote]
Yes i see what you mean. Point taken.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1371408638' post='2113531']
I'm pretty sure that if we had implemented fees 'pre recession', we'd not be having this discussion now.
[/quote]

But you didn't and we are :o

I do not agree that the recession is a significant factor and there is no evidence to show that in any of the above posts.
Some people have come out and said why they are selling elsewhere and it is not because of the recession - they simply don't like up front fees and they are not unusual in that, which may be why it is not common business practise.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1371408808' post='2113536']
When is it broken? I've seldom had a problem.
[/quote]

Most forums default to one notification per reply to a topic. Since the upgrade a while ago, BC sends you a notification for every single reply.

So... you don't actually have to visit BC to follow a thread, which means I'm not on there as often as I used to be. And I'm constantly getting reply notifications which is irritating.

I've flagged it a few times and been told it's a bug which will be fixed... sometime.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1371409099' post='2113541']
I do not agree that the recession is a significant factor and there is no evidence to show that in any of the above posts.
[/quote]

The recession is hitting every part of every market, either directly or indirectly.
Basschat isn't exempt from that.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1371409099' post='2113541']
Some people have come out and said why they are selling elsewhere and it is not because of the recession - they simply don't like up front fees and they are not unusual in that, which may be why it is not common business practise.
[/quote]

By common business practise you mean 'it's not the same as Ebay/Gumtree' I presume? :D
The thing that is being missed here is that Ebay/Gumtree and so forth all have hundreds or thousands of employees and £M's worth of infrastructure to provide them with ability to work in the way they do.

We don't.

I've quite a lot I need to sell, but I need to sell it because I need cash. Cash I don't have to spend on a £20 fee. I've sold on here for years, since bassworld, but since the fees came in I haven't at all. I understand the reasons for it, I just can't afford to spend that much on something feels a bit 'abstract'. :( especially when before it was just part of what we did.
All IMHO as ever.

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1371409128' post='2113542']

Most forums default to one notification per reply to a topic. Since the upgrade a while ago, BC sends you a notification for every single reply.

So... you don't actually have to visit BC to follow a thread, which means I'm not on there as often as I used to be. And I'm constantly getting reply notifications which is irritating.

I've flagged it a few times and been told it's a bug which will be fixed... sometime.
[/quote]

Yeah :(

I can appreciate that and we're still waiting. :(

I just turned my notifications off in the end.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1371410262' post='2113566']
The recession is hitting every part of every market, either directly or indirectly.
Basschat isn't exempt from that.

By common business practise you mean 'it's not the same as Ebay/Gumtree' I presume? :D
The thing that is being missed here is that Ebay/Gumtree and so forth all have hundreds or thousands of employees and £M's worth of infrastructure to provide them with ability to work in the way they do.

We don't.
[/quote]

The recession is not hitting every part of every market, in fact many business are booming, especially those that are able to adapt and work with consumers, rather than alienate them.

Ebay/Gumtree started small and grew by adopting a business model that appealed to their users - not by burying their heads in the sand and blaming the recession.

I am not trying to cause an argument, just simply putting some alternative views across, if you refuse to read the writing on the wall, fair enough :D

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1371410958' post='2113578']
The recession is not hitting every part of every market, in fact many business are booming, especially those that are able to adapt and work with consumers, rather than alienate them.

Ebay/Gumtree started small and grew by adopting a business model that appealed to their users - not by burying their heads in the sand and blaming the recession.

I am not trying to cause an argument, just simply putting some alternative views across, if you refuse to read the writing on the wall, fair enough :D
[/quote]

The key here being that eBay and Gumtree [i]were [/i]businesses where Basschat is not.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1371411412' post='2113594']
Is it not?
[/quote]

It's certainly not my understanding that anybody makes their living off of the site, or intends to. Certainly, it does generate money, but that's (supposedly) to cover the costs of running a website like this. I suppose we could argue the semantics of what a 'business' actually is all day, but my point still stands that the two are worlds apart.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1371411551' post='2113598']

It's certainly not my understanding that anybody makes their living off of the site, or intends to. Certainly, it does generate money, but that's (supposedly) to cover the costs of running a website like this. I suppose we could argue the semantics of what a 'business' actually is all day, but my point still stands that the two are worlds apart.
[/quote]

They both need to generate revenue. That's as complicated as it gets...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1371411740' post='2113601']
They both need to generate revenue. That's as complicated as it gets...
[/quote]

Right, but I don't see any evidence to suggest that Basschat isn't generating [i]enough[/i] revenue.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1371410958' post='2113578']

[/quote]

Fine, you're obviously the expert, although you might want to take a look at a better disguise for insults than sticking a smiley face on the end of the sentence. :lol:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1371412904' post='2113632']
Fine, you're obviously the expert, although you might want to take a look at a better disguise for insults than sticking a smiley face on the end of the sentence. :lol:
[/quote]

Seems to be getting quite heated.

At the end of the day 'you pay your money, you take your choice'.

I got turned off this service due to the fee's, I have my concerns about this market place so used other ones. Does that mean I'm right and BC is not? The answer to that is 'No'. I do what I got to do, they do what they got to do.

What does it matter 'why?', all that matters is that if you don't like it then you know what to do.

[/quote]

Careful. You might terrify all those 'unhappy forum members' who are scared to voice their opinion despite a couple of consultations and a couple of moan threads.

Anyhow, it's done, the damage isn't that great and the alternative is the forum shuts down. If one is sufficiently unhappy to complain, tough sh*t. Man up and grow a pair, you cissies. Yar Boo Sucks! :lol:

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1371413352' post='2113653']
What does it matter 'why?', all that matters is that if you don't like it then you know what to do.
[/quote]

Yes indeedy. Well said, Mr Chiliwailer. That's another way of putting it

Edited by skankdelvar

[/quote]

I am very sorry you took this as an insult, it wasn't meant that way at all and the smiley was meant to show that.
I am not an expert, I just disagreed with you and you may find I'm not alone in that - it isn't personal though and it would be a shame if this descends into an argument.
My views and suggestions are just that and you are free to ignore them if you so wish.

Peace man :)

[/quote]

The point was valid. It didn't look like an insult IMHO. You are being sensitive.....again an opinion not an insult. (no smiley)

The fact is some members are now pushing gear through alternative routes to BC because of the fees. If this does not concern you then fair enough.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1371413852' post='2113672']
The fact is some members are now pushing gear through alternative routes to BC because of the fees. If this does not concern you then fair enough.
[/quote]

Any solution involving a fee would alienate a segment of users too poor / cheap-arsed (deliberate distinction) to pay up. There's no magic wand to wave.

I imagine the new donation pricing is a contributing factor. I'm all for supporting the community but maybe a percentage charge for sales would be better than a set price.

£20 donation is easily swallowed by the sale of a £1000+ bass but is a fair chunk out of the sale of a second hand Squier or similar. It's going to kill the sale and trading of budget gear. Who wants to donate £20 just to organise a swap/trade? It's then costing you money to swap like-for-like.

THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A SITE FOR BASS ENTHUSIASTS, EXPENSIVE BASSES, CHEAP BASSES, WHATEVER , ALL I CAN SEE IS GUYS LOOKING AT PICS AND MAKING COMMENTS ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, ITS A WASTE OF TIM ADVERTISING ON HERE AS FAR AS I CAN SEE. IS THERE REALLY ANY POINT IN HAVING A FOR SALE SECTION??????