Why become a member? ×

GK MB200 not doing it for me - looking for something less voiced?

Subfeeder

Hi all,
I'm after some advice. I'm a Doubler (Realist pickup on the Double Bass, and a Jazz Bass) and I am currently using a Gallien Krueger MB200 into a Barefaced Midget T. I use a Fishman Plat Pro with the DB to cut some sub-lows going to the amp. The Jazz Bass goes straight into the GK MB200.
I love everything about the GK MB200 except the sound. I find it too "voiced" and it also seems to introduce quite a lot of compression. With Double Bass, I set the GK MB200 "flat" as has been detailed on other posts about this little amp but still find it difficult to get an uncoloured sound. With Electric Bass it's better, but I find the sound somewhat harsh and metallic at the top of the range - that is playing anything up on the G string. Plus the sound seems very compressed, especially in this higher range.
I know the Double Bass is very difficult to amplify properly and I have got best result using my old GK 150 micro combo, but plugging a preamp into the FX return to bypass the preamp and using the Barefaced as an extension speaker. However, this is not a practical gigging solution as I'm carrying around the combo just for the power amp. I had thought about buying a power amp but they seem pretty big by today's mini bass amp standards. I have tried the preamp into the Aux in on the GK MB200 but couldn't get enough volume - the Barefaced being 8 ohms.
So, I'm looking for something with less voicing and less compression. But I want to keep it small - I think the MB200 is the leader in that respect so I'm prepared for something slightly larger than this. I can't spend loads on an amp - I don't really want to go above £300. I'm thinking that maybe Markbass is the way to go as from other posts I've read it seems more of a flat EQ from the outset. The Little Mark 250 Backline looks pretty good at £250.
All suggestions and comments gratefully received

If you could have stretched your budget I would have said my EA Micro. Clean as a whistle and one input specifically voiced for DB piezo, the other for electric. Trouble is I am already losing money on it at £380 (and I bought it s/h only a few months ago)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1371477065' post='2114289']
If you could have stretched your budget I would have said my EA Micro. Clean as a whistle and one input specifically voiced for DB piezo, the other for electric. Trouble is I am already losing money on it at £380 (and I bought it s/h only a few months ago)
[/quote]
Yes I did see that and was tempted. How is the volume of the EA Micro? I don't play really loud but would want something that would keep up with a loud drummer. Also not sure how it well it would work with Electric Bass.

I used the micro into a Barefaced Midget for about two years - great combination all round, although the Midget has got a bit of a bark to it (the eq on the EA is very simple and musical and can easily tame that). I only swapped to an old SWR Electric Blue because I saw one going and had always wanted to try one.

The other advantage is you've got two proper channels with their own simple eq. Won't do "old school" without some external help (Sansamp etc) but covers everything else with distinction.

Plenty loud enough, with real low end too.

Its 550W at 4 ohms or 310 at 8 ohms so I have never had a problem with sound level. And I play next to a loud drummer. BC'er wwcringe has played an acoustic electric bass through it and my old Epi 112 cab (8 ohm) and seemed happy at a recent gig so you could ask him for a second opinion. Its very clean for electric bass and you might want to warm it up with a preamp or pedal (Sansamp etc) for a retro Motown or overdriven blues sound

Edit: BassBod got there first!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Subfeeder' timestamp='1371478823' post='2114315']
Yes I did see that and was tempted. How is the volume of the EA Micro? I don't play really loud but would want something that would keep up with a loud drummer. Also not sure how it well it would work with Electric Bass.
[/quote]

The digital Ashdown MiBass has a semi parametric EQ, and also allows you to cut out the pre amp with a push of a button. When the EQ is flat there is very little colouring. It's also very light. Comes on 500 watss and 220 watts.

Maybe it's the cab

I've had great results with the MB200 + Epifani UL110, either 1 or 2 for both Fender and uprights with various pickups

Just have to roll off some bass & low mid

If you're using an external preamp you could run it through the aux in and bypass the gk eq

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1371480538' post='2114352']
Maybe it's the cab

I've had great results with the MB200 + Epifani UL110, either 1 or 2 for both Fender and uprights with various pickups

Just have to roll off some bass & low mid

If you're using an external preamp you could run it through the aux in and bypass the gk eq
[/quote]

I'm fairly sure the Barefaced Midget is fine for what I need as I've tried it as follows:
DB Realist > Plat Pro Preamp > GK 150 FX return > Barefaced Midget
and it works fine.
Also, I have tried using the aux in on the GK MB200 and couldn't get enough volume out of that setup
Amplifying Double Bass introduces so many variables, not least of which is a furniture sized piece of vibrating wood.
Thanks for your input though.

[quote name='Subfeeder' timestamp='1371483126' post='2114401']

Also, I have tried using the aux in on the GK MB200 and couldn't get enough volume out of that
[/quote]

Sorry I missed that in your O.P.

Clarky's micro might be the answer

Good luck with your search

Edited by Mr Bassman