Why become a member? ×

Where am I? (Lost inside a song)

dincz

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1371559781' post='2115482']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/7919-how-was-your-gig-last-night/page__view__findpost__p__2112624"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__2112624[/url] :D
[/quote]

Heh :D bad form - how many times have I've mentioned that sound engineers who dont run their rig at appropriate voluems for the venue are the scourge of live music in this day and age - and its always the bands who get the bad rap for it too!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1371553503' post='2115326']
I always love vocal cues the most.
[/quote]
I dare not use these as our singer often sings verses in a different order....

I have been known to suffer losing my way but have made a mental note of the number of verses and choruses or other sections in a song.

We have a song which has a rest section after each chorus but each of these rest sections is a different length - I just remember it by telling myself it's rest, long rest, extra long rest and mentally tick them off as we progress.

I try to be conscious of which verse or which chorus I am in - many choruses are a different length from the one before or the one after so I build a mental map of each song and tick the sections off in my mind as I go.

If I do start thinking about something else (normally a pretty girl in the audience or whether there is somenthing wrong with my signal chain!!) things can get rather hit or miss but normally the checklist pops back into mind just in time..

Well at least I've got company :)

I've just teamed up with a singer/songwriter/guitarist and a drummer and have a list of original songs to learn. My next move is to commit some lyrics to memory - not all, but key phrases that signal something I need to be aware of.

Thanks for the tips.

Edited by dincz

to be fair , we seem to sense when someone is losing it , a quick nod or a wave to each other at a critical time point or structure change and we are on it , we are in the habit of letting each other go off on one but then expect a clue as to when it is all about to go back into shape. we don't play anything overly complicated and they are all covers , there really shouldn't be room to get lost in a 3 and a half minute song :lol: