Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass Question

Guest MoJo

I've been having a look round for a replacement head for my Hughes & Kettner Quantum 600 which is a great amplifier but I don't think it's the one for me (too many tone shaping options for starters). I'm not a hifi type of guy, more old school. Quite by accident, I stumbled across some YouTube videos for the Terror Bass 500. The warm gritty tone is right up my street and would work well in the rock covers band I play with. My only question is, all the online demo videos feature this trademark grind tone, can the TB500 produce a clean tone at volume?

Thank you

Edited by MoJo

The OBT500 has enough headroom that it will easily do clean, just keep the Gain low (below 9 o/c) and the MV suitably high to compensate (past 12 o/c, maybe even 3 o/c).

Used fully clean though, IMHO, you also lose the character that makes it such a great little amp.

For most of the owners I've talked to, it's about controlling the grit properly rather than having a Gain knob that's an On/Off switch.

That's why I started this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/134869-re-valving-an-orange-bass-terror/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/134869-re-valving-an-orange-bass-terror/[/url]

If you're buying new then (as mentioned above) some of the original issues (cheapo valves & way-hot DI) have now been sorted out.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1371645166' post='2116512']
If you are buying used, I would recommend spending the extra 100 quid or so and get the 1000 watt version. I love mine, you can get the same grit, but you have loads more headroom for a clean tone if that's what you are after. Most certainly NOT a hifi sound though!
[/quote]

1000w power section won't make any odds to the headroom, since its the preamp that lacked headroom. Maybe the 1000w one has the later preamp, but will be same with the 500w with same preamp. 500w is more than most cabs can handle, so headroom issue won't show there.

I put retro harma valves in mine which were picked up cheap from Watford valves. It just means the break up doesn't occur so early and I've never had a problem getting the sound I want. Mine's well over 3yrs old now and reading this thread it looks like they've addressed that issue anyway

I,ve got one of the newer ones and decoding the serial number it appears to be made in febuary 2013
Plenty loud with the 2x12 isobaric cab
I,m not in the PA anymore
Gain about 10-11 oclock and volume the same and big beefy and loud.
Not polite but wowee,just nice
1000 watt and 2 isobarics would be evil,so would the 500 one with 2 cabs.
Great amp and cab for live work.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1371645741' post='2116529']
The OBT500 has enough headroom that it will easily do clean, just keep the Gain low (below 9 o/c) and the MV suitably high to compensate (past 12 o/c, maybe even 3 o/c).

Used fully clean though, IMHO, you also lose the character that makes it such a great little amp.

For most of the owners I've talked to, it's about controlling the grit properly rather than having a Gain knob that's an On/Off switch.

That's why I started this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/134869-re-valving-an-orange-bass-terror/"]http://basschat.co.u...ge-bass-terror/[/url]

If you're buying new then (as mentioned above) some of the original issues (cheapo valves & way-hot DI) have now been sorted out.
[/quote]

The above is how I used to use mine, gain and volume at 9 o`clock, gigging volume. Was through a very loud Marshall 4x12 though. Had just the tiniest bit of break-up. If you swap for some of the valves Burrito recommends, plenty of clean head-room there.

hiho,I,ve heard that the newer ones have had the di output tamed as well as different valves which tames the gain a bit but you can still get the full monty just that it,s more controllable.
I don,t know if that,s right but mine doesn,t really dish dirt until 12 oclock.
I have found that it doesn,t like line6 bass pod with a musicman.
At practice last night I plugged in my old faithfull bdi21 and it just come alive,level set at unity gain.everything 12 oclock.
Gigging at weekend so I,ll keep you all updated.
I might try some revalving when I get payed.
Heard good reports with harma 12ax7 and ecc81 which might be 12at7 or 12 au7 summit like that.
Would just changing v1 be enough or is it better to change v1 and v2 or ecc81 in v1 and a ecc83 in v2 or vice versa or just suck it and see.
I know there is a post in technical bit,I ,ll have another read of it.

As stated above a simple change of valves will sort the grind issues out. I switched to Phillips ECC81's and was fairly happy.

Needs to be driven to break up now, which is the way it should be. It also sorted out some of the boominess that I felt the original valves gave it. More of a clean punch than just air being moved.

I really couldn't believe Orange brought out a 100w version. The 500w is so loud! With the original valves and a 4ohm cab I could not put the volume or tone above 9 o clock. What would you do with 1000w?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I plan on getting rid of my Hartke transporter stack as it's too big and impractical for what I need and the 500 watt terror head has caught my eye. If i was to get one I plan on getting a 2x12 TC Electronic cab to use it with. Would it be able to hold it's own in a live situation? Any info/ opinions would be appreciated!

[quote name='Rossington' timestamp='1374334695' post='2147746']
Hi all, I plan on getting rid of my Hartke transporter stack as it's too big and impractical for what I need and the 500 watt terror head has caught my eye. If i was to get one I plan on getting a 2x12 TC Electronic cab to use it with. Would it be able to hold it's own in a live situation? Any info/ opinions would be appreciated!
[/quote]

Really depends on how loud your gigs are. Loudness is determined by cab rather than head, and the always mid scooped eq of the Orange is pretty disadvantageous.