Why become a member? ×

Playing rut-what can I do?

Jam

Try a different type of music. If I ever get bored of playing bass I listen to a new type of music and jam along with that.

I used to be into rock - def leppard, motley crue, iron maiden that kind of thing.Over a couple of weeks I stopped playing bass and listening to music completely as I was fed up with it. But I thought to myself, this is what I want to do, you can't stop so I picked up the bass and instead of playing along with rock songs I picked a genre I hated, at the time, Rap and played along with Eminem and NWA etc. and then from there I got into Hip-Hop and now I love all of that stuff and listen to it more than I do rock music.

Hope it doesn't last too long :)

:)

I put my bass away in a cupboard when I felt exactly like this back in the 90's (the music of that era just turned me off) and it stayed there for 7-8 years. I eventually was drawn back to it - I had lost my chops, but came "at it" from a different angle with a new approach, way of thinking and maturity.

I believe that I am am a much better musician now.

The matter of lessons is totally irrelevant. The core of musicianship comes from the realm of feel and emotion - not technique.

You cannot help how you feel. Put the bass down for and walk away from it...until it calls you back.