Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 715S + 1153 - man enough for the job?

Guest MoJo

I currently play in a loud pub rock band without PA support. I play through a Hughes & Kettner Quantum 600 head into a Hughes & Kettner BC215H cabinet. This rig is more than able to cope with the job at hand but weighs about the same as the Titanic's anchor. I recently bought a Trace Elliot 715S which I believe is rated at 200 watts into 4 ohms and as a standalone unit it is surprisingly loud but doesn't quite have the depth of the BC215H. I was wondering whether adding a 1153 cabinet would give me a giggable rig.

Anyone had any experience?

Thanks

I doubt the TE rig will be less unwieldy than the H&K rig! In my opinion, I think you'd be making a mistake swapping the HK for the TE. Tonally and practically speaking. It'd be like swapping Cholera for Dysentry.

Why not look at some of the lightweight offerings from GK or TC? Or just swap out the 2x15 cab for something like the GK Neo212? They can be had for £250 and they weigh nothing and sound huge.

Truckstop

The little trace sounds sweet and as it's one of the original narrow models, it doesn't weigh that much. I'd thought about changing the drivers in the H&K but I don't want to lose the tone I love. May look at the GK Neo212