Why become a member? ×

Playing softer

steviedee

I've been playing with the same drummer for years he was complaining that when practicing he plays much softer and is subsequently much better than when we play live or rehearse. It's a habit he is finding really hard to break.

I completely sympathise as I have the same problem. I use the floating thumb technique but can't think of anything other than turning my amp up really loud and trying to regulate my playing. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I remember reading around here that Jamerson used to get such a fat sound by setting the volume high and playing with a very light touch.

It's something I'll have to practice, practice, practice, as I sing a lot while playing (which will only increase) and my attention is very often purposefully divided here, there and everywhere

I'm sure someone else will be along soon with more constructive advice. Good luck with it

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]I'd turn right down, then your drummer will have to play softer.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]I don't rate floating thumb, maybe that's your problem? [/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]These are some players I found on Youtube with firmly anchored thumbs.... [/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]John Patitucci[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Stanley Clark[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Marcus Millar (playing with fingers)[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Mark King (playing with fingers)[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]John Deacon[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]John Paul Jones[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Frances Rocco Prestia[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Chuck Rainey[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Victor Wooten (playing with Bela Flek)[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Freddie Washington[/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Tal Wilkenfeld[/size][/font]

Edited by chris_b

Drums HAVE to find their consistant strike and volume.... and you need a good strike to make the kit sound good, IMO.
It is pointless practising or soundchecking at different volumes than you gig at..

I play light and so need a lot of gain on the amp... and also a touch of compression to keep the strings more even.
That way, I don't need to chase the sound ...and retain precision.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1372504143' post='2126510']
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]I'd turn right down, then your drummer will have to play softer.[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]I don't rate floating thumb, maybe that's your problem? [/size][/font]
[/quote]

The problem being the drummer, like me, finds it difficult to play quieter. He's a great drummer and we've been playing together for years but as soon as the guitarists plug in we just play louder. It's like Pavlov's dogs.

I was a heavy player before the floating thumb.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1372508780' post='2126578']
I play light and so need a lot of gain on the amp... and also a touch of compression to keep the strings more even.
That way, I don't need to chase the sound ...and retain precision.
[/quote]

This sounds like a good call, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Practising drums, imo, involves going through the whole gamut of dynamics, from almost inaudible to mega thrashing. All the rudiments are to be applied in several ways each. All the techniques (brushes too...) need work at all volumes. It takes a lot of time to go through a solid work-out on drums. That's my take an experience, anyway. Your drummer should (still imo, of course...) be practising loud, as well as soft (well, within reason, obviously...).
I would have thought that the same applies to almost all instruments; bass included. There's no point being limited to only one dynamic, especially when playing covers, for instance. Not, perhaps, so true for a virtuoso with a specific style to explore, but I would expect such a player to have already gone 'through the mill' beforehand, anyway.
As for playing 'live': there's an adrenalin rush to be dealt with, which comes (or not..!) with experience. There's no reason to change radically on stage, except that it's fun..! If held in reasonable check, why not..? If it gets to be 'too much',a discrete nod between band members should allow the horses to be reined in a bit; if not, practise that too..!
@ mods: For the drumming aspect, please move this post to DrumChat.co.uk, please... :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

I'd just like to point out I'm not criticising my drummer, he is a great drummer, it's a pleasure playing with the guy. It's simply because he practices a lot that he notices that when playing with the band he often hits them too hard. I'm the same, runs and lines I play with ease when practicing I get a bit tired when playing with the band because I'm digging in much more. But when you've been doing it or years it's hard to break the habit.