Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Jazz bass

Paul S

I have this on my mind so will post it now, despite going on holiday Monday.

I sometimes get GAS for a Jazz bass but all those I have tried are too heavy. I just had to move on a beautiful E series MIJ Squier Jazz that sounded and played like a dream but at 10lbs was just too heavy for me.

Are there any models that are nearer 8lbs out there?

ta!

There are ones that are guaranteed to be light because they have specially chambered bodies - Mike Lull , Sadowcky NYC - but you are talking about big money . Unless you have that kind of a budget , your best bet is to look round and find a light one . They are definitely out there -you can find plenty of Fenders under 9 pounds - but you just have to persevere until you see the right bass at the right weight . The Fender Roadworn Jazz Basses made in Mexico tend to be on the light side and are very playable basses , by all accounts , so maybe you could look at them for a start .

Edited by Dingus

:o Er, yes, 2 grand is more than I had in mind. Fender Roadworn maybe a good starting point. But I guess it is like everything else - I kept trying P-basses until I found one to settle on. Or two, actually. I like the idea of the Geddy Lee one but even that is a tad heavy. Question - do Aerodyne Jazz basses sound like Jazz basses? I've only ever heard two at gigs and they both had so many effects it could have been anything.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1372511203' post='2126613']
:o Er, yes, 2 grand is more than I had in mind. Fender Roadworn maybe a good starting point. But I guess it is like everything else - I kept trying P-basses until I found one to settle on. Or two, actually. I like the idea of the Geddy Lee one but even that is a tad heavy. Question - do Aerodyne Jazz basses sound like Jazz basses? I've only ever heard two at gigs and they both had so many effects it could have been anything.
[/quote]

They sound like a PJ , which is significantly different to a Jazz . Only the bridge pickup soloed will sound like a traditional Jazz Bass .

There are plenty of post - 2008 Fender American Standard Jazz Basses that weigh under 9 pounds , and they come up used pretty frequently at very reasonable money . What's more , they are great basses just as they are and don't require any modifications . In my experience , the sunburst ones tend to be lighter than the solid colours , very generally speaking , maybe because they save the premium wood for the more expensive transparent finishes . You get light ones in solid colours too , so don't dismiss them out of hand , either . A used Am St. from Basschat is what I would be looking for if I had a budget of about £600-700 .

Edited by Dingus