Why become a member? ×

Bobby Womack at Glastonbury.

chaypup

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1372674463' post='2128304']
Unfortunately I tuned in as Damon Albarn was 'singing' like he does and quickly moved on elsewhere. May revisit the session on iplayer where I can fast forward where necessary.
[/quote]

It was like two different shows - he opened with the Damon Albarn stuff from the new 'atmospheric' album & then kicked him off stage and came back, resplendent in matching red leather suit, hat & shows & launched into the 'classics' set.

The second half was a different world, gutsier singing, funkier playing from the band (although maybe not as good as previous bands I've seen with him) and an all round proper soul legend performance.

Even had the wonderful Altrinna Grayson on backing vocals :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1372675091' post='2128319']
It was like two different shows - he opened with the Damon Albarn stuff from the new 'atmospheric' album & then kicked him off stage and came back, resplendent in matching red leather suit, hat & shows & launched into the 'classics' set.

The second half was a different world, gutsier singing, funkier playing from the band (although maybe not as good as previous bands I've seen with him) and an all round proper soul legend performance.

Even had the wonderful Altrinna Grayson on backing vocals :)
[/quote]

Do you know who the bassist is?

It wasn't anyone I've seen with him before (and I've seen him a lot of times!). In fact I didn't recognise any of the band except for Altrinna :(

He had a pretty stable touring band for a long time so maybe this one was either put together for this show (or possibly the Greatest Man tour which I didn't see).

I thought he was using an Atelier Z through an Aguilar DB750 & pair of GS 410's. Don't know if that was a hired rig for the festival as I saw at least two other people using the same set up.

If it was an Atelier then they are pretty cool basses. Only ever seen one other player with one over here - Francis Hylton of Incognito.

Watching on TV he was on stage with Alburn and I turned over.
Went back when he changed his band... but still couldn't stay with it.
Not sure if that was me not giving it a fair go ..but I did tune back in quite a few times
and nothing stuck.
Maybe I missed some good bits...???