Why become a member? ×

Pre amp options into Ampeg power amp (rack preamp, P-Retro, VT-Bass)?

Beedster

Folks
I'm hoping to rejoin the ranks of the gigging bass fraternity soon. I have recently acquired a lovely Ampeg 300w all tube power amp and what should be an equally lovely Ampeg tube pre, but the pre is playing up a lot and will need some technical work done, not great when you live in the stix. However, it got me to thinking about other options, and two I'm considering are a Tech 21 VT box or even an East P-Retro, both going straight into the power amp. Any thoughts?
C

Thanks mate, yep the VT is probably going to be the first choice, I quite like the idea of having the programmable version at my feet anyway. What do you reckon to the tone difference from the VT to the Ampeg pre going through the tube power amp?

At a guess, the VT will be more consistent at different volumes, as it models the power section driving too. And if you actually drive the power stage, can just cut some drive on VT, but I've never found a whole series of small drives adds up to a bad lots of drive sound.

• 1 month later...

In case anyone's interested, the Tech 21 VT going into the Ampeg SVT-300 sounds massive and makes it a whole lot easier to dial in a tone that using the SVP-Pro. Clean out of the VT but pushing the power stage sounds absolutely lovely :)