Why become a member? ×

Bolt-on better than set?

4 Strings

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1373294478' post='2135758']
Actually using large (M8) bolts and threaded brass inserts creates a neck to body joint that is hard to beat with just a bit of glue!

Also there is a lot more work in a proper BOLT on neck then there is in most set neck designs. (all IMO of course ;) )
[/quote]

Isn't modern wood glue supposed to be stronger than the wood?

IMO a good set neck joint should be just as stable as a bolt-on. Of course it's easier to hide a poor set-neck joint provided the external surfaces match up, but in these days of good quality tools and CNC machining there is little excuse for a poor fitting joint what ever method you use. Also I have a Burns bass from the early 60s with a fantastic heelless set neck that over 50 years on is showing no signs of failing. Just shows what you can do with a bit on ingenuity and some good quality craftsmanship.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1373276445' post='2135464']
Neither is better.

The neck type is only one part of the equation. What you need to look at (listen to) is the overall sound of all the components and how they work together.

A set neck and bolt on will give a slightly different sound, but what that difference is will depend on the build process and the materials.

Most players, bands and audiences wouldn't notice the difference especially when the band starts up.
[/quote]

Much like the old rosewood/maple thing. I can tell the difference when practicing at home but in the mix, never.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1373326586' post='2136362']
You mean we should avoid bolt-ons because Fender use them?
[/quote]

No, on the contrary.

I've just remembered that the Stingray has a bolt on neck.

Memo to self: Must get Stingray first thing tomorrow without fail.

As the great FZ once said ...................... how could i have been such a fool?

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1373390275' post='2137049']
No, on the contrary.

I've just remembered that the Stingray has a bolt on neck.

Memo to self: Must get Stingray first thing tomorrow without fail.

As the great FZ once said ...................... how could i have been such a fool?
[/quote]

in that case , what would be better , one of the current six bolt models or a pre - Ernie Ball three bolt model ? Would I need to get two three bolt basses to equal one six bolt bass ? This could work out as a very expensive business .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1373390590' post='2137054']
in that case , what would be better , one of the current six bolt models or a pre - Ernie Ball three bolt model ? Would I need to get two three bolt basses to equal one six bolt bass ? This could work out as a very expensive business .
[/quote]
Even the mention of pre-Ernie Ball sends a shiver down my spine as if i was in pursuit of some mythical creature. I must ask myself if i am worthy enough ever to hold one of these in my feeble hands. They truly are the thing of legend.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1373404411' post='2137302']
Even the mention of pre-Ernie Ball sends a shiver down my spine as if i was in pursuit of some mythical creature. I must ask myself if i am worthy enough ever to hold one of these in my feeble hands. They truly are the thing of legend.
[/quote]

Some of the ones I have played were so heavy that you ought be asking yourself if your feeble hands are strong enough to lift it , never mind worthy to hold it ! :lol:

To quote Hartley Peavey ( who knows a bit about making instruments) "It doesn't matter if it's bolted on,glued on or stuck in with chewing gum, as long as it's solid it doesn't matter a damn". Not sure I'd like to try the chewing gum option though.

Edited by Spike Vincent

My main bass has a neck through design but it created more problems than it was worth, due to poor design. I could really have done with a way to shim it.
It's also a shape that is prone to getting bits snapped off, so that's a worry, too. Though I suppose of that were to happen I could route out a neck pocket in the body and replace it with a bolt on, or if there isn't enough body at that point I could glue one in.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1373415570' post='2137454']
My main bass has a neck through design but it created more problems than it was worth, due to poor design. I could really have done with a way to shim it.
It's also a shape that is prone to getting bits snapped off, so that's a worry, too. Though I suppose of that were to happen I could route out a neck pocket in the body and replace it with a bolt on, or if there isn't enough body at that point I could glue one in.
[/quote]

Sounds like you're the one who needs to go and buy a Stingray first thing tomorrow morning!

So, are we saying, in conclusion, that there may be differences sonically but these are normally indistinguishable, there are differences in heel shape but issues in this can be overcome where necessary be design, but the bolt-on allows a bit of flexibility (not that kind) in changing if necessary and allowing a shim, if necessary (albeit this shouldn't be necessary but often is).

But for 99% of the time with 99% of basses, nobody really knows, nor cares, about any difference? Especially as bolt-ons seem to have made a resurgence in custom basses.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1373453513' post='2137699']
But for 99% of the time with 99% of basses, nobody really knows, nor cares, about any difference? Especially as bolt-ons seem to have made a resurgence in custom basses.
[/quote]

Yep. Neither is better. Just different.

Bolt on is better for consistently usable instruments. But CNC and kiln drying has made through necks more consistent through automation. As long as you don't cut a pickup route right through the neck where it meets the body so the body wings give no support, that would be ridiculous design.