Why become a member? ×

Another newbie!

chriswareham

Hi folks,

Been lurking here for a long time, but finally decided to join up and posted a few pics in the black bass topic.

I've been playing bass for twenty years, in a mixture of punk, goth and industrial metal bands. Currently I play in a heavily detuned (drop Bb), female fronted industrial metal band called Inside The Circle. Always had a soft spot for chorused bass parts played either with double stops or over open strings, so I'm looking to put a fair bit of that into our songs. As well as an Electro Harmonix chorus, I also use a Darkglass B3K, which is quite simply the only distortion or overdrive pedal I've ever managed to get a good sound out of. Actually, that's doing it a disservice, as it's more than just good - it's bloody brilliant.

My main bass is a Musicman Stingray - the third one I've owned, as I personally feel they're the best bass ever made. I also play a semi-acoustic sometimes, although the first time I used it live it fed back so badly it blew my junk shop valve amplifier up! Since progressed from the junk shop amp (which was a now very desirable Simms-Watts head) to an Ampeg SVT Classic and matching speakers.

Was sorry to read the recent threads about the Rickenbacker woes, as I was hoping to buy a copy of the 4001 bass at some point. Always loved the look of them, but the genuine Rickenbacker ones I've played have always disappointed me. Since one my greatest bass heroes - Hooky - played a copy I tried out a few of them and liked one in partcicular but they now seem impossible to get hold of.

Anyway, here's hoping I can pick up a few hints and tips from people here - particularly on getting specific tones.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by chriswareham