Why become a member? ×

Adding a clip light to a V-Type preamp

Sharkfinger

I have an old TE V-Type preamp. It's fantastic and very no-nonsense, feature-wise. One thing I sometimes wish it had is a clip light to tell me I'm pushing the input too hard. In an ideal world, my ears would be enough but I worry that just because I don't hear really obvious distortion, there isn't harmful distortion getting through to the power section / amp or speaker. I would use it more if it had this feature.

Can and should I have the preamp modified to have a clip light and has anyone done it? Alternatively, is there some kind of level meter I can add to the end of my pedal chain to give me an idea of the signal strength?

Thoughts, please.

I have a V6 with the same preamp (at least as far as I know). It doesn't really do harsh preamp overdrive. It if sounds a bit gritty for your ears, turn the gain down. That is part of the fun of playing with a valve amp.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1373365886' post='2136644']
A valve pre and not clipping it is a bit of a waste. You should probably send it to me and get a mic pre.
[/quote]

This, except don't send it to Oli, send it to me.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1373364702' post='2136631']
There's nothing dangerous about your preamp clipping or distorting, and therefore if you can't hear it then it doesn't matter! :)
[/quote]
[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1373365004' post='2136635']
I have a V6 with the same preamp (at least as far as I know). It doesn't really do harsh preamp overdrive. It if sounds a bit gritty for your ears, turn the gain down. That is part of the fun of playing with a valve amp.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, it sets my mind at ease.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1373365886' post='2136644']
A valve pre and not clipping it is a bit of a waste. You should probably send it to me and get a mic pre.
[/quote]
[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1373369960' post='2136703']
This, except don't send it to Oli, send it to me.
[/quote]
[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1373370782' post='2136734']
Or me :P
[/quote]

Sure you can have it... right after you prize it from my cold, dead hands :)

Edited by Sharkfinger