Why become a member? ×

Normal? Or not so much?

Evil Undead

So with this heat, and feeling horrible and sticky all the time, I've not picked up my bass in a few days. And a few more.

When I last played (embarrassingly, it was as long ago as Friday) before the heat wave, it was set up perfectly.

I picked it up tonight and there's a buzz on the lower frets on the G, so I had to loosen the truss rod a little.

The bass is stored on a stand in my bedroom, which gets very hot so we have a fan in there. But I've deliberately placed the fan so that the bass is behind it and doesn't get the breeze.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal behaviour for a bass in this weather? Is this a sign of some damage or issues?

Bass in question is an Ibanez SR600.

Some basses are more prone to movement than others, I wouldn't worry it's faulty unless it won't hold it's tune for a gig or if the neck goes serious banana shape.

If there's a place you can keep it where the temperature and humidity are a bit more constant it'll probably stay fairly playable all the time. Two people breathing out all night will probably raise the moisture content of the air a fair bit.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1373495982' post='2138394']
Some basses are more prone to movement than others, I wouldn't worry it's faulty unless it won't hold it's tune for a gig or if the neck goes serious banana shape.

If there's a place you can keep it where the temperature and humidity are a bit more constant it'll probably stay fairly playable all the time. Two people breathing out all night will probably raise the moisture content of the air a fair bit.
[/quote]

After breathing out all night, the large intake of breath by both of them in the morning would do more damage. :lol:[size=4] [/size]

Maybe keep it in it's case when the weather's like this, although that might make you play it even less ;)

In my old house I had to tweak the truss rod on all my Fenders twice a year as the temperature and moisture content changed, oddly since I moved I haven't had to. Must be better insulated or something!

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1373496340' post='2138399']

After breathing out all night, the large intake of breath by both of them in the morning would do more damage. :lol:[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

Haha ^ ^

I should point out that I have my action crazy low and hardly any relief, so any change in the relief I guess would make a big difference in buzzing etc.

Edited by Evil Undead

Best to leave it in a case or good quality gigbag when you're not using it and left somewhere cool. I leave mine cased under my bed when not in use.

Tweak out the current issues with the intonation and then take measures to keep the bass in ideal conditions as much as possible!

Truckstop

Stop talking about steamy! :o :lol:

I feel a bit sceptical about changing the air around the bass all the time. Can't quantise, but it didn't ring well with me. Air is a fantastic isolator, but new and newer air much less so.
I'd rather put a cardboard tube around the stand to slow down processes.

Will edit after some more thought, if necessary.

best,
bert

Necks are mostly wood so may well move.
Funnily enough, the most stable neck was on a MM but then it wasn't the best neck to play.

Decent mature necks will maybe need a tweak twice a year ( Winter and Summer ) and sometimes you
can overcome this by tweaking the action alone.
Never adjust the neck too much at a time..and let it settle before a fine re-adjustment.

I never expose the neck or bass to 'extreme' temps..direct sunlight or leave it in a soft case.
I may well lay the bass on the couch but will leave the headstock free...
Where ever the neck has a tendency to move, I will lay the bass down the opposite way to counteract
any stress or forces on it.

I guess my basses live in room temps of 14-25 ish degrees