Why become a member? ×

Read this book! Ghosts and Ballyhoo : Memoirs of a Failed LA Music Journalist

xilddx

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghosts-Ballyhoo-Memoirs-Failed-Journalist/dp/0764343386/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1373546803&sr=8-6&keywords=ballyhoo"]http://www.amazon.co...ywords=ballyhoo[/url]

I just finished it, what a fascinating read. very uncomfortable at times, but it's totally compelling.

It started life on a Talkbass thread where he posted a few bassist interview stories. Three massive threads later he was convinced to actually write the book. Each chapter has an interlude section by Scott Thunes, which is fabulous enough, but the whole book is just wonderful, hell of a personal story about Tom's life as a failed LA music journalist, he wrote for Bass Player magazine, and his other book In Cold Sweat: Interviews with Really Scary Musicians is a bass bible for me. Deep interviews with Peter Hook, Gene Simmons, Jerry Casale, and Scott Thunes.

Awesome stuff, buy them both!

Edited by xilddx

I have just being checking out this book. Any reviews I have read have been very good.

I have just ordered a copy.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

On the subject of books...I have just finished reading "Chicago" ex drummer Danny Seraphine's book about his time with the band. An interesting read for any "Chicago" fans out there.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Street-Player-Polymeric-Industrial-Applications/dp/0470416831"]http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0470416831[/url]

Edited by Coilte

Been reading the TB thread - fascinating stuff - I'll be buying the books too.
Just got the Zappa 'Make a Jazz Noise Here' on Mr. Wictor's recommendation - Scott Thunes has frightened the life out of me and to make it worse, my drummer mate is getting all excited 'cos he thinks I'll be able to play this stuff next week! :o

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1373566189' post='2139162']
Been reading the TB thread - fascinating stuff - I'll be buying the books too.
Just got the Zappa 'Make a Jazz Noise Here' on Mr. Wictor's recommendation - Scott Thunes has frightened the life out of me and to make it worse, my drummer mate is getting all excited 'cos he thinks I'll be able to play this stuff next week! :o
[/quote]

Excellent! Check out Thunes' pick work on T'Mershi Du'ween. Mental! His skill (apart from his mastery of the instrument) is all about communication, his personality just seems to spill out all over the place. That's the hardest thing for a musician to do I think.

Both books are wonderful, I hope you enjoy them :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1373566942' post='2139167']
Excellent! Check out Thunes' pick work on T'Mershi Du'ween. Mental! His skill (apart from his mastery of the instrument) is all about communication, his personality just seems to spill out all over the place. That's the hardest thing for a musician to do I think.

Both books are wonderful, I hope you enjoy them :)
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1373567182' post='2139172']
It's on my Amazon wish list. I'm hoping someone will buy it for my birthday...
[/quote]

Thanks, I'm sure I will.
Serendipity is happening here - my birthday is at the end of the month and Missus Jazzneck is buying one and the Kiddies Jazzneck are buying the other I'm told, just as I was about to order them from Amazon. :D

Edited by Jazzneck

I've read Ghosts and Ballyhoo and I have to say it's the most original and well written memoir I've read to date. It's funny really as I've read scores of them, usually by people who are more of a household name, yet the best one is written by the least famous of them all. There's something in that I'm sure - being able to live life under the 'fame' radar leads to a much more varied and interesting life (there's hope for us all there!) and Tom Wictor has led a very interesting life indeed.
I love his writing style, it's very addictive. I took this book on hols last month and couldn't put it down, up reading half the night. The Scott Thunes interludes are a masterstroke in my opinion.
Speaking of Mr. Thunes, anyone here who's never read Wictor's other music-centric book "In Cold Sweat - Interviews With Really Scary Musicians" really should as that's a great read too, so insightful as well as entertaining - I learned a lot about music from it among other things - mostly that I'm glad I'm not in the music business! :)