Why become a member? ×

Gigs

tom1946

I'm trying to understand why a gig or a tour would need a 5 or even a 6 string bass? Surely you make your own decisions about what you play?

Or is there something I don't know? The only tours I do are around our church :huh:
Plus I've never played a 5 string, what are the benefits?

/discuss

Let me get this straight: you've been told by your church that you need a 5 or 6 string bass to play in their worship band for gigs & tours?

Sounds like there could be a control freak at work. However, musical reasons why someone might suggest this are perhaps because a lot of the songs are in keys where a 5/6 would give you some low notes - C, D, Eb - although many here would argue that you could cover this on a 4 with a de-tuner. Also, lot of US gospel bassists play 5 & 6 so perhaps someone just thinks you need one too.

Can you give us all the reasons why you are being told this and we'll no doubt comment further.

I tried to lover 5ers, but in then migrated back to 4-string basses.

There is no doubt that for some songs in some keys you can avoid some traveling up and down the neck and play more in a given position. Other than that you get a few extra low (or high notes), generally tighter string spacing and a bit more weight.

So as you can see I'm not a convert and I'm curious as to why you are being pushed down this road. There are many fine bassists playing 4s in most genres of music and probably nearly as many playing 5s. Not sure about 6-strings though, unless you maybe do a lot of chordal work?

No no, I'm not being asked to do this.
I'm just curious as to why someone might say, sell a jazz 4 string because his band says he needs a 5 string. Or maybe someone is joing a tour and is told he needs to play a 5 or 6 string.
My situation is fine. Why would someone other than the bass player tell him what to play? Is that clearer?

Yes, that's clearer.

I can only speculate that people will be told such things for image reasons or musical reasons. The latter would include the keys used, the sound required, etc. The former may be because the band leader wants a certain look.

I have no problem with either approach & getting the right gear (& shirts!) can be part of the fun of a new project.

My dear wife told me I needed to get a double bass to join her band & I'm so glad she did as the vast majority of my gigs are now on db. The learning curve was rather steeper than a move from 4 to 5 but really worthwhile.

In short, you need to decide whether these demands are relevant and a positive challenge or indicate a control freak that may be hard to tolerate going forwards.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1373615372' post='2139578']
I'm just curious as to why someone might say, sell a jazz 4 string because his band says he needs a 5 string. Or maybe someone is joing a tour and is told he needs to play a 5 or 6 string.
My situation is fine. Why would someone other than the bass player tell him what to play? Is that clearer?
[/quote]

is this person writing songs where loads of sub E notes are being used frequently? if the compositions are sounds and musically they 'work' then a 5 or an octave pedal on a 4 would be suitable

why am i getting vibes of metal and downtuning? is the low E to B thing just being used as a compositional gimmick or does it actually add value to the harmonic structure?

personally i think the whole low tuning things is more for effect than harmonic substance - in a heavy or busy arrangement most punters cant actually discern the pitch correctly much below low D and the main important reason for playing the correct note is imho mainly to avoid unwanted dissonance

Some bands write or arrange numbers that use low notes.

Some bands want a "look" and insist on a 4 string or a particular bass.

5 and 6 string basses are the norm in church music in the US and I guess an indy player wouldn't know what to do with a B string over here.

I only play 5 string basses. I find they are more flexible and easier to play. IME you need better gear to handle the extra frequencies at volume and still get a great sound, but at the end of the day most bands will let you play what you want. Then it's your job to sound as good as you can.

It took me about 2 years to really love playing a five string and even now I do the odd gig on a 4 forthe fun of it.

Reason I changed is playing with vocalist who change key, a song is in E but you drop it to D so either you loose your low end note or use a fiver or drop tuning.

I still don't think we have all the information or context to properly answer the OP's question.

However...

If you are joining an existing band whose previous bass player had a 5 or 6 string bass, or you are being asked to recreate studio bass parts live that were originally recorded with those instruments or even synthesisers or samplers for the bass part then I think it is hardly unreasonable for you to be asked to use the correct tools to get the job done. Yes, replacing band members will always result in some changes to the music, but unless the band is looking for a whole new sound, I think that initially the fewer changes the new member(s) make the easier the transition goes.

Then there's image. Nothing wrong with that if the band performs live. As much as some musicians wish it would not be the case, how a band looks is probably as important as the sounds that they make. It's always been like that. Get over it or find something else to do.

Ultimately the instruments required to perform the songs are down to the vision of the songwriter(s) and/or band leader. If you want to play your own choice of instrument(s) then form your own band and write your own songs. TBH in the past as main songwriter and band leader I've always found it easier to get in musicians who are already on the right wavelength as regards sound and image rather than try and persuade those who aren't to change.

Edited by BigRedX

Thanks,
I understand the 'look' very well, most people that play rock I guess would use a Precision (from what I've seen on TV).
From my perspective and from the limited stuff we play in church a 4 string is almost adequate. The problem I sometimes find is the lack of notes, for example a song in G would usually be played 3rd fret on the E string which on a 3 chord trick would give similar sounding notes on C & F.

If the same song begins on the G note using the D on the 5th fret, the C above is thin & tinny. I sometimes find it hard to get notes of a matching depth without 7" fingers to reach them. I realise that technique is all but my digits aren't very long. I'm thinking that a 5 string would help here.

Please remember I'm quite new to bass playing and there are no teachers worth going to around here.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1373615372' post='2139578']
[/quote]

The MD/artist might want a certain sound/vibe etc.

I can certainly imagine it being a requirement for visual purposes and you have to decide whether it is worth adhereing to.
Some gigs are ALL about Fender basses... nothing else will get past an audition..or even to it..,.!!
Probably applies to other kit as well.

No different to 'must have BV's'...it is what the artist wants and they pay

I use both 4 & 5 string basses live. The vocalist that I play with is extremely talented but has a limited range...we frequently have to transpose many of the covers that we play - often resulting in a loss of low end. Having the 5 string in the toolbox enables me to easily compensate for this.

Horses for courses. I tried 6 string a while ago...but found the extra high end totally useless for what I was playing.

Edited by White Cloud