Why become a member? ×

All The Queen's Ravens (Clarky's band) NEW ALBUM Review

xilddx

I just got Clarky's band's new album Hearts for Judas. I've seen them live twice, and the launch gig last week was fantastic, great levels of energy in the room.

The first notable thing that struck me as I listened to it is that it has a very strong identity and aesthetic. It's got a full band British folky vibe, but because of its Spanish elements it is not what I'm used to hearing. I like that a lot, and it works extremely well. You might think it's an album full of jaunty stylised numbers, but it isn't. There are some very lively songs on here, but throughout there is pathos, and it pays to listen to the words because they bring the music into sharp focus. My favourite tracks so far are Valiente, New York Red, Las Vegas Parano, Camilla, and Joe.

The two singers have very different styles but they work together perfectly. Laura has the more operatic and Spanish style, and Charlotte seems to me more like a jazzy Dusty Springfield type vibe (but that's just what I have in my bonce). They are both very powerful vocalists and you can hear and feel the passion in their voices on this album, and that is borne out in their live performances.

The rest of the band perform superbly. The drums and bass are tight and very groovy, very quiet and sensitive too when they need to be. Clarky's bass sounds rich and punchy (think it's the Ampeg Baby Bass, it was even punchier live), very disciplined and confident, and just what the songs need. The Mandolin gives a sparkly high register layer which adds a sweet country note to the music. The guitarist is a key part of the sound, he has a bag of different of techniques and influences and brings a diverse range of flavours to the songs, he's a very sensitive player with a strong, pensive musical personality.

It's an album by a band that sound very mature, they have a distinctive voice that has been honed to its core elements over time. It's the real deal. They seem to be developing a following too, which bears this out. Top work Clarky!

[url="https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/hearts-for-judas/id662981798"]https://itunes.apple...das/id662981798[/url]

Edited by xilddx

Wow! Thanks for taking the time Nige to give a really proper review and I am delighted you like the album. I do think we have a (tautology alert!) pretty unique vibe and the combination of the two amazing front ladies and the acoustic backing is what makes us memorable (its why I was so keen to join them in the first place, having watched them playing a bass-free gig and been blown away).

I would love to say I played on every song of the album but the reality is quite a few were recorded before I had joined either with the previous DB player or with a friend of the band who also plays DB (the lady bassist you saw with our support act, Travellin Rose, at the gig last week). I am really pleased to have played on Las Vegas Parano and New York Red in particular, though :)

Thanks again Nige!

PS, for those reading, Nige also lent us his Spanish guitar for Las Vegas Parano so his influence is on our album too

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1373888332' post='2142610']
My pleasure mate. It's a very, very good album!
[/quote]
Cheers Nige! If anyone fancies a free listen, here's the link to 'Hearts for Judas' on Spotify https://play.spotify.com/artist/0IUawLEHC2kB41H3NDQNYm