Why become a member? ×

Played my first Precision in anger!

njr911

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1374368602' post='2148159']
As has been said there's nothing a P bass can't do.
[/quote]

Of course there are things a P-bass can't do. If those happen to be the things you're not interested in doing anyway then you're on to a winner, but I find statements like this a bit silly.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1374409144' post='2148391']

Of course there are things a P-bass can't do. If those happen to be the things you're not interested in doing anyway then you're on to a winner, but I find statements like this a bit silly.
[/quote]

Like what? (Opens worm can)

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1374416088' post='2148460']
Like what? (Opens worm can)
[/quote]
Well, there are lots of distinctive bass sounds out there that are quite different to anything you can get out of a stock P-Bass. Try getting the burpy mids of a jazz bridge pickup, the sizzle and and zing of a Stingray, the almost hi-fi clarity of a more modern active bass, the rubbery thump of a short-scale hollowbody, the clank of a stereo-wired Rickenbacker, the quirky midrangey thing of a Wal, the range of an ERB (the list goes on...) out of your stock P bass. You might not like any of these sounds, but they exist and plenty of players love them.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1374425166' post='2148576']

Well, there are lots of distinctive bass sounds out there that are quite different to anything you can get out of a stock P-Bass. Try getting the burpy mids of a jazz bridge pickup, the sizzle and and zing of a Stingray, the almost hi-fi clarity of a more modern active bass, the rubbery thump of a short-scale hollowbody, the clank of a stereo-wired Rickenbacker, the quirky midrangey thing of a Wal, the range of an ERB (the list goes on...) out of your stock P bass. You might not like any of these sounds, but they exist and plenty of players love them.
[/quote]

Ahh yeah I'll grant you that. My point was more that the P is a pretty versatile instrument that doesn't really sound out of place in any genre.

Mmm played a 63 Reissue (AVRI) in PMT Leeds yesterday.

Olympic white with mint plate. It was the absolute nuts, nice nitro finish. At £1700 a bit too rich for me though.

Anone got a nice s/h at a bargain price they want to sort me out with ;)

Take a look at this, being a 62 Reissue can`t imagine it`s that much different to a 63. This one is a great bass:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211984-fender-62-reissue-usa-p-bass-with-added-62-reissue-jazz-pup/

I've recently acquired another P. Shouldn't have sold the last one really!

I do find them so easy to play - and they do fit in anywhere with very little fuss. I also find that wherever I play (pubs/cubs, wherever..!), I can always hear myself - something not always so easy with other, often more expensive basses.

I resisted a P for years as I thought they were a little 'obvious' - more fool me. A bass that well recorded and performed with....there's good reason. :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1374485793' post='2149129']
Take a look at this, being a 62 Reissue can`t imagine it`s that much different to a 63. This one is a great bass:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211984-fender-62-reissue-usa-p-bass-with-added-62-reissue-jazz-pup/"]http://basschat.co.u...issue-jazz-pup/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, I've seen that one but I'm a bit OCT when it comes to non stock parts :(

I've got 4 P basses. A '75 R/W board.............amazing. Best bass I've ever played.
A modern jap maple board fretless (like Sting) again a great bass.
A Squier JV '62 reissue made in '83, rings like a piano and my Bravewood '57 reissue (old shape, like a 55). great lightweight bass with a classic thump.
They all sound like a P bass but they all sound different.
Love em to bits

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1374931356' post='2154895']
Ahh, but will you search? ;)
[/quote]

I've played most basses, Sadowsky, F-Bass, MTD, G&L, Pensa, Elrick, Gibson, Yamaha, Sandberg, Overwater, Sei, countless others. None of them (well, few of them) come close to the sound in my head that I love to hear on record or in a live environment.

'The sound in my head' being the operative part of all of that, we're all different aren't we?

I've just seen Scotts (scottsbasslesson.com) CS relic Olympic white over CAR on his site and I think I'm in love!

Very similar to this one, I think I need to save for a few years or have a lottery win.

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12021016552849"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12021016552849[/url]

I think that OW over CAR was for sale oh here a while ago, the added kicker with Scotts is the matching h/s. I'm a sucker for a matching h/s.