Why become a member? ×

McCartney's Right Hand

Lowender

That would be the fretting hand.

Listening to the early tracks like 8 Days a Week, All My Lovin, Nowhere Man and You Won't See me, it's interesting how his lines have so much movement with hardly any hand movement. In fact, the position rarely moves at all, yet the figures aren't "typical" root position patterns. Another example of his subtle genius.

On the CD that comes with the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" book, McCartney admits that Jamerson was an early influence on him. AFAIK, Jamerson seldom played above the fifth fret, and used open strings a lot, which he brought with him from his double bass playing days. This may have something to do with McCartney's style of playing.

PM's style was laid down in the 50's listening to rock and roll.

There was only a brief crossover between The Beatles recording their major creative works and JJ entering his creative period, so that introduction seems like wishful thinking on McCartney's part.

Bass players who are singers, inventive song writers and piano players will usually have a much better melodic sense than plain old bass players.

If you want to emulate McCartney get a piano.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1374484157' post='2149093']

There was only a brief crossover between The Beatles recording their major creative works and JJ entering his creative period, so that introduction seems like wishful thinking on McCartney's part.

Bass players who are singers, inventive song writers and piano players will usually have a much better melodic sense than plain old bass players.

[/quote]

Indeed, have a listen to Lady Madonna, Macca really swings that boogie woogie piano.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1374483658' post='2149085']
[i]Macca makes it all look easy :)[/i]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PoFwDHpikU[/media]

That's without trying to sing and keep it in tune
[/quote]

I dread to think what my voice would sound like if trying to sing at the same time as playing that bass-line :shok:

Birthday Song is a nice example of this too

[url="http://youtu.be/MjF1bG5LUcs"]http://youtu.be/MjF1bG5LUcs[/url]

he does appear to strectch his fingers quite a bit whilst not moving his hand around

oh dear have I inadvertently sidetracked this into a strectch v. slde wars thread?!!! :o :o :ph34r:

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1374482259' post='2149063']
On the CD that comes with the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" book, McCartney admits that Jamerson was an early influence on him. AFAIK, Jamerson seldom played above the fifth fret, and used open strings a lot, which he brought with him from his double bass playing days. This may have something to do with McCartney's style of playing.
[/quote]
Staying in one position also helps a little if you've got to sing as well.

[/quote]
I think you underestimate the opportunity for Jamerson to influence Macca. The crossover, after all, is most of the 1960s. That seems like plenty long enough. Although I agree that 50s RnR was a big influence e.g. bass from Chuck Berry's Talking About You.

[/quote]
Agreed.