Why become a member? ×

Keeping Your Cab In A Garage, Bad Idea?

Rumple

So I've finally run out of space and need to do something about it, one option is to rent a garage to store some of the stuff I own including possible my bass cab, I've always kept them indoors and I was wondering if storing them in a garage is a really bad idea or not? it's an expensive cab so I don't want to find it gets knackered in 6 months time.

What's your thoughts/experiences?

Cheers

R.

Get a decent cover, should be ok. Our guitarist keeps his 412, and the bands PA speakers & monitors in his garage, they always work fine. I used to keep my cab in the boot of my car, as it was too big to get up my stairs (412) and never had an issue.

Maybe want to think about garage security too. People put expensive gardening and sporting gear in there and secure it with a £2 lock.

I kept my original amp out in the garage for years with no problem - it electrocuted the guy I sold it too but certainly no problem for me! :ph34r:

These days my cab is flightcased and I throw a table cloth over it so it acts as a side table when not in use

You can't generalise. Some garages are prone to condensation and some are not. My garage is OK - got an insulated roof and walls. I have constructed a large full height cupboard out of OSB where I store some of my cabs and a double bass from time to time. But I sometimes get a bit uneasy in the winter and bring stuff indoors sometimes. I wouldn't want to store a head.

Thanks everyone so far for your input, just to add some detail, the rented garage would be in a separate block so it would get pretty cold during the winter in there, I have no idea how damp they are, the cab has a thick Rocsolid cover.

I love the idea of using it as a table when not in use but I don't think I'll get away with that :lol:

There are garages and garages...
If it is a clean and dry garage with a controlled temp, then it should be ok
but I would be most put off if I turned up to buy any kit stored in your average car garage..
and I wouldn't store any of my kit in my garage.

I've been in the position of renting an "en-block" garage from the council. It's a world of difference between that and a nice warm, dry garage attached to your modern semi-detached house.

If this is your situation you need to keep your gear off the ground, and covered to protect from falling water . Don't wrap it too tight in polythene, as you need it to breathe to avoid condensation.

It would be better for the gear if you can hire space in one of the big store rooms, like "Big Yellow" or the like - more expensive though. Yet it may be affordable if mates (real mates) in the band have the same problem and you share it.

Edit: [size=4]Oh yeah, and don't lean gear against the side/end walls in the en-block either... damp that way too.[/size]

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1374489551' post='2149197']
='BurritoBass'

I kept my original amp out in the garage for years with no problem - it electrocuted the guy I sold it too.

MB1.
Kinda answers your question?.
[/quote]

To be fair it was the 4th or 5th garage it had been in so it supports the others saying it depends on the garage. It was in constant use in the previous garages and then got retired for 4yrs before I sold it on. It was to a friend of a friend and he was ok about it all.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1374496521' post='2149319']
.... best start looking for a table cloth for it....
[/quote]

In my first band we kept my 412 cab in the drummers bedroom.

He put a table cloth over it and used it as a bedside table.

Presumably such equipment has manufacturer-recommended operating and storage temp & humidity ranges?

Also, don't forget that the colder the air, the less moisture it can carry, so a cold garage can actually be quite a dry environment - assuming the roof doesn't leak.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1374515962' post='2149612']
MICE! They love to make nests in your speaker port, chew up the carpet and speaker cone for bedding, and eat through your wires.
[/quote]

Gulp!

• 3 weeks later...

I like to keep my gear safely cluttering up the dinning room...and as I haven't got a garage.

The band I'm with now uses a private rehearsal space that is similar to a garage and other bands leave their gear there. I personally wouldn't as it looks it could get quite damp and the temp variation is very marked.