Why become a member? ×

August Composition Competition

charic

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1376842789' post='2179814']
Ok I'm done.

This took a lot longer than I'd hoped, mainly because the idea of remixing my past 12 months' entries and creating a giant mashup of them all wasn't as easy at it first seemed. In fact, it was a gigantic pain in the ass… involving lots of pitching, time-stretching, re-sampling, etc, in order to make everything fit together with any degree of coherence. I ended up starting from scratch with a lot of it, including the drum track. But meh, it was fun. In a self-flagellating kind of way :blink:

The soundtrack doesn't match the video transitions perfectly, but I had to sacrifice the timing in a few places to make the music work.

Anyway, here you go…

[b]NB: this track contains one instance of swearing - a m***********, to be precise! - so it's not safe for work or family viewing[/b] (that's a heads-up for Lurks, who I know sometimes listens to these tracks with his children).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksAyl2MkFso&feature=c4-overview&list=UUmgDHWbt8-3lAXlSuCBLT8w[/media]

That's me pretty much done until mid-September now (silly season at work), but I'll hopefully have time to sling something together for the start of the 'new season'.

Cheers all :drinks:
[/quote]

Check you out, Jaguar Skolz! Absolutely superb mixing skills.

Good evening, Paul...

Nothing but excellence, once again. Well done, and bravo (once more..!) :) .

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1376842789' post='2179814']...But meh, it was fun. In a self-flagellating kind of way :blink:...[/quote]

Isn't it nice when it stops, though..! :lol:

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1376842789' post='2179814']
Ok I'm done.

This took a lot longer than I'd hoped, mainly because the idea of remixing my past 12 months' entries and creating a giant mashup of them all wasn't as easy at it first seemed. In fact, it was a gigantic pain in the ass… involving lots of pitching, time-stretching, re-sampling, etc, in order to make everything fit together with any degree of coherence. I ended up starting from scratch with a lot of it, including the drum track. But meh, it was fun. In a self-flagellating kind of way :blink:

The soundtrack doesn't match the video transitions perfectly, but I had to sacrifice the timing in a few places to make the music work.

Anyway, here you go…

[b]NB: this track contains one instance of swearing - a m***********, to be precise! - so it's not safe for work or family viewing[/b] (that's a heads-up for Lurks, who I know sometimes listens to these tracks with his children).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksAyl2MkFso&feature=c4-overview&list=UUmgDHWbt8-3lAXlSuCBLT8w[/media]

That's me pretty much done until mid-September now (silly season at work), but I'll hopefully have time to sling something together for the start of the 'new season'.

Cheers all :drinks:
[/quote]

Quality mate! really impressive mix and composing :hi:

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1377082521' post='2183047']Brilliant Skol and a laughed out loud at the ending!!!! Top job matey!![/quote]
[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1377116518' post='2183665']Check you out, Jaguar Skolz! Absolutely superb mixing skills.[/quote]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1377118037' post='2183694']Good evening, Paul...Nothing but excellence, once again. Well done, and bravo (once more..!) [/quote]
[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1377210929' post='2184974']Quality mate! really impressive mix and composing[/quote]

Thanks folks! I really appreciate the kind feedback.

It was meant to be a quick effort from me this month, but it ended up being quite a tricky project to put together. There's obviously a nod to one of Basschat's famous in-jokes at the very end ;) Good to hear y'all dig it.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1377262840' post='2185509']
Thanks folks! I really appreciate the kind feedback.

It was meant to be a quick effort from me this month, but it ended up being quite a tricky project to put together. There's obviously a nod to one of Basschat's famous in-jokes at the very end ;) Good to hear y'all dig it.
[/quote]

BRILLIANT!! Oh the beginning is such a great idea too! Love it mate.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1377266876' post='2185599']BRILLIANT!! Oh the beginning is such a great idea too! Love it mate.[/quote]

Cheers Nige! Those scrolling titles were crying out for the Star Wars treatment. I recorded about half a dozen tracks of me humming different parts of the John Williams theme, then mixed them together. Got the idea from a guy on YouTube who does it much better than me :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1377269227' post='2185653']

Cheers Nige! Those scrolling titles were crying out for the Star Wars treatment. I recorded about half a dozen tracks of me humming different parts of the John Williams theme, then mixed them together. Got the idea from a guy on YouTube who does it much better than me :)
[/quote]
Are you the only entry so far.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1377276327' post='2185772']Are you the only entry so far[/quote]

No, so far it's Douglas (Dad3353) and me. I'm hoping Garry (lowdown) is cooking something up too... but I'm not aware of anyone else this month, other than maybe Charic!?

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1377276327' post='2185772']
Are you the only entry so far.
[/quote]
[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1377277998' post='2185802']
No, so far it's Douglas (Dad3353) and me...
[/quote]

No, but seriously, it's a one-horse race for now, let's face it. :blush:

(...[i]or, if not, there's some very strange folks out there[/i]... :lol: )

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1377293742' post='2186044']
[url="http://tinyurl.com/lojvnzx"]http://tinyurl.com/lojvnzx[/url]
[/quote]

An excellent suggestion. However given the circumstances I think this may be more appropriate:

[url="http://tinyurl.com/kj47y3z"]http://tinyurl.com/kj47y3z[/url]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1377513634' post='2188264']When does the voting start ?
Getting lost up my own arse with this one,
I need another day to get it up to the level of Mickey Mouse.[/quote]

Any day now I guess... but if you've got something near-finished then maybe we should hang on until you're done. Would be a shame otherwise, especially as there's currently only two entries!... so we're all guaranteed a medal ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1377550510' post='2188814']
Any day now I guess... but if you've got something near-finished then maybe we should hang on until you're done. Would be a shame otherwise, especially as there's currently only two entries!... so we're all guaranteed a medal ;)
[/quote]

[attachment=142415:Eeyo.jpg]

Yes, indeed. Keep the door open for as long as possible. Bronze..? I like bronze. Of course, it may not come to that; I'm sure there's others yet with their entries. Never mind, bronze would have been nice. Thanks anyway...

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1377640772' post='2189881']A bit of a rush, but I got there in the end.[/quote]

Nice one Garry. I've only managed to give it a quick listen on my phone, but it sounds great - even on my poxy phone speaker! I especially like the 'aurora' and 'Blue Note' pieces. And your timing is spot on for each change of theme.

Impressive as always mate :) Looking forward to giving it a proper listen.

Paul

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1377640772' post='2189881']
A bit of a rush, but I got there in the end....
[/quote]

Indeed, and with a quality product to boot..! Excellent job, judicious choice of moods for the various sections and neat, synchronised fades. I reckon this entry could easily be voted into the top three... :rolleyes: