Why become a member? ×

What files to file a nut?

I'm thinking of changing a cheap Squier P-Bass Special I have to BEAD tuning. I'll have to file the nut to accommodate the extra thickness. Could you point me to files for me to buy?

Any tips for the filing process itself? Reckon anything will have to be done to the bridge as well, or to deal with the extra pull on the truss rod?

Cheers

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1375186391' post='2157761']
[url="http://www.simnettguitars.com/home/toolstore#!/~/product/category=4222170&id=20897564"]These[/url] work well, but they are not cheap!
[/quote]

Yikes... Yeah I know I can get it done for 20 quid so am trying to spend less than that... Btw, if later I want to go back to normal EADG, will that be ok with the slightly wider slots or will there be any instability because of it?

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1375185950' post='2157745']
Might be easier to just buy a nut.

There will be variance in the truss rod setup also because of deviation in string gauge
[/quote]

Yeah I'll definitely have to adjust it, but wondering if anything more dramatic would be needed (as in the truss rod not being prepared to stand the extra tension for example), but I'm pretty sure it will be ok...

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1375186391' post='2157761']
[url="http://www.simnettguitars.com/home/toolstore#!/~/product/category=4222170&id=20897564"]These[/url] work well, but they are not cheap!
[/quote]

I have a set of those (didn't pay anything like that for them) and they are great for cutting NEW slots. Remember what you want to be doing is WIDENING the slot a little - not deepening it.

As mentioned, I used needle files of various sorts & managed the B tuning quite well.

G.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1375189102' post='2157845']
Edit: Chances are you'll have less tension in BEAD with bottom 4 of a 5 string set.
[/quote]

Unless you favour some very weird gauges, you will definitely have less tension with B-D rather than E-G. If you look at the those manufacturers that list the tensions for their strings low B is always the lowest tension while G is normally the second highest.