Why become a member? ×

Cynic is silenced by the tigers roar

Guest MoJo

Despite being a Granddad, fifty-one and having more than a few grey hairs, I usually embrace technology and it's advances. I've never once claimed the Cortina to be a better car than the Focus yet, until yesterday, I couldn't be convinced that modern Class D amplifiers were more than a toy, a passing phase. YouTube videos did little to change my perception, often recorded in tiny studios where they were so quiet that the demonstrator could talk over the bass. I wanted to see one in action, kicking out some serious volume in a band situation or at least with a live drummer to give you an idea of it's live capabilities (just a suggestion Dan / iGuitar).

Then, BC legend Dan 'Dood' Veall put his Gallien Krueger MB800 head up for sale on the forum. Although I've never met him, from what I've seen and heard about Dan, he comes across as an honest, down-to-earth kind of guy. So, when he said that the MB800 was loud, I took him at face value and went for it.

The amp arrived yesterday, perfectly packed. I got it home after work, plugged it into my Schroeder 410BMF, plugged in the P-bass and powered up. Set the Master Volume to 0 and the Input Gain to half way. I struck a note and turned the Master Volume :shok:

It was like opening a cage door behind which was a ravenous tiger trying to get out. I've never experienced anything like it. It is incredibly powerful.

I have to say I'm a convert. I still rate the Hartke HA3500 and my Peavey T-Max as very good amps but they're pussycats compared to this beast

Awww! Bless you Mark, very kind words, thank you :) - I'm really pleased you love the amp. I'm wondering if I was a little hasty letting it go but at the same time very pleased it has gone to a good home!

Honestly, having reviewed a good few of the current crop of D-Class heads, this is definitely one of the punchiest and loudest without a doubt. Combined with GK's FET preamp, it delivers.

Thank you for your feedback for Guitar Interactive Magazine too - I'll suggest it! I do very much agree, it's really difficult to demonstrate kit that is designed to go loud in a quiet studio. Generally, the volume in the studio is loud enough to spill in to the vocal mics, hence you will never see me play and talk at the same time. Spill is cut out in post-prod as well as mixing etc. It is difficult to get a feel for the volume and tone of an amp within the constraints of digital media, especially I guess with a lot of readers viewing on say, laptops or computers with built in speakers. I always suggest a big set of decent earphones or a suitable HiFi.

Once again, thank you :)