Why become a member? ×

cab advice- 4x10 or 2x15?

stubass

Hi guys. I'm a bit new to cabs and that and wondered if I could ask for some advice. I've always played combos (never needed anything bigger) but when I joined the band I'm in, we decided to hire a room so I've been playing through an ampeg 250w head and an 8x10 ashdown cab. It sounds too good and its demotivating coming home to my behringer bx1200! So I took the plunge and bought an ashdown electric blue 180 head. There is a guy not far from me selling a Laney 4x10 cab and wondered what I could expect from it vs the 8x10? Also he's asking for £100, does that sound fair or are there better ones to be had? I'm playing small/medium venues with drummer, doing soul/funk/disco stuff. Any advice appreciated.

£100 for a 410 can`t be sneered at. In terms of sound, well bear in mind it is half the size of the 810, and significantly lower in height, so when you use it all the sound you are used to hearing with the 810 won`t be there, it will be around your knees. I`m saying this so you aren`t majorly disappointed as the height will be a main thing with the 810 as to why it sounds so good.

But in terms of giggable rig - unless you are very loud, that should be enough, though bear in mind the 180 watts is at 4ohms, so I don`t know how much power it gives at 8ohms (although I`ve no idea if the Laney is a 4 or 8ohm cab).

Given that you'll only get about 3db more from a 4ohm cab than an 8ohm cab with that amp, it's a moot point. Two 8ohm cabs would be a different kettle of fish. [size=4]However, I agree with The Dark Lord in that you'll struggle with 180W. I'd want to use at least 300W in that situation, if only for the headroom.[/size]

Edited by discreet

Interesting, thanks. The guy with the 410 is round the corner from my work so going round to see it with my head when I'm back on Thursday (off on paternity, hence the need for extra income!). I thought £100 was pretty reasonable myself. We are hiring a PA and I can hire the 810 for £20 a day if I collect/return but ideally want my own rig. Might just squirrel it out for an 810.

As a working unit this isn't really going to work thta well, IMO.

You need to hear the cab and decide whether it can do a decent job... so try and demo it with a more powerful amp to determine it isn't
a bad cab.
If the cab passes that then concentrate on getting a better more powerful head.
If you like the Ashdown/LAney combo in terms of the sound then look at a more powerful head.

A amp/410 unit should be able to deliver a good 300w potentially otherwise it is not worth lugging around weight-wise.

Stevie is right, try it out. Laney are pretty nearly budget speakers. Having said that even a middling 4x10 should meet your needs. There are lots of cheap 4x10's and 1x15's out there though as they are no longer fashionable. To be fair they are all limited by thee size and weight. Better speaker technology means you can now make a smaller lighter cab that does the same job so as soon as we can afford it most bass players look to upgrade to something easier on the back. This means there are plenty of cheap functional cabs out there, you don't need to buy the first unless you like it a lot. You can get a Peavey BX BW 1x15 for less than £100 and a 4x10 for just a little more. Great stuff but heavy.

Take your time, if money is tight then spend it carefully.

It depends what range of Laney we're talking about here.

I don't have any experience of the older stuff but even the Richter range uses Celestion speakers. I use a Nexus 4x10" and I wouldn't call it budget by any stretch of the imagination. Celestion Neo drivers, marine grade ply and are still built in the UK for a little over Chinese Ashdown ABM money. And 10kgs lighter than an ABM410.

They're just not trendy in the slightest so the downside is that if you buy new you're going to lose a lot of money if you come to sell but the upside is that they can be had for peanuts. I'm on the look out for another 4x10" or 1x15" from the same range

If the guy is selling a Nexus 4x10" and you decide to pass then let me know.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1375721458' post='2164763']
I'll sell you a bargain 2x15
[/quote]

I hope you're not talking about the Vintage there Si... :o :D

IMO, amp and cab combinations are extremely variable. Add to that the way that our ears all work differently and you have a real problem with strangers offering advice!!

Give 'em a try and trust your own ears. £100 for a cab is a pretty good price on the face of it, but it depends on the cab. You should still give it a blast before buying, even at that price. If the sound (with your amp) doesn't please you, then it is money wasted if you buy it! It is definitely a buyer's market at the moment and there are some real bargains to be had - especially on here.

Maybe instead of deciding on the speaker format you want (4x10, 2x15, etc), try looking within a certain budget and see what is around. You may find that a 2x12 (for example) comes up and you like it and can afford it. Try to be very selective when people start telling you that you need "tens for punch" or "fifteens for bottom" etc. Any decent cab with decent speakers in it should be able to give you the sound you require. And yes, if you are careful, £100 may be able to get you something worth owning - but only if you buy second hand.

Where in Scotland are you? There are plenty of Basschatters in Scotland and Northern England (myself included) who would be happy to let you have a try of their gear to help you in the process of finding what you like...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1375725918' post='2164830']

I hope you're not talking about the Vintage there Si... :o :D
[/quote]

No chance :D I think the vintage is here to stay now!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1375725918' post='2164830']
Where in Scotland are you? There are plenty of Basschatters in Scotland and Northern England (myself included) who would be happy to let you have a try of their gear to help you in the process of finding what you like...
[/quote]

Count me in if you wanted to try anything, but I'm in the North East.