Why become a member? ×

Video capturing help

ML94

Hi,

so I've been asked to provide a video for audition for different universities that I'm applying to and wondered how you guys capture your video and audio.

At the moment I have recording equipment for sound but its just the video that I'm a little worried about. Do you just record yourself and then video edit the audio with the sound that has been recorded (I'll be using Logic Pro)

any advice would be helpful

pthanks

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1375786176' post='2165477']...any advice would be helpful...[/quote]

Good afternoon, ML94 (or may I call you 'ML'..?)...

Depending on requirements, solution could vary, but...

Cheap and cheerful: webcam, recording direct into PC, sound from built-in mic...
Very easy, and inexpensive. One has to do a few trial runs to get a decent video capture and sound. May be sufficient for needs, but not very 'pro', and results depend on quality of webcam and surroundings (lighting, room acoustics etc...)

Medium: Tripod-mounted video camera (Sony HandyCam or such...); built-in mic...
Easy, if one has access to such a camera (cheap enough to buy, or family/friends..?). Better control over conditions, sound quality can be very good if care is taken.

Better, but maybe too much..?: Video recorder plus external sound recording...
Sound can be optimised, but the video will need editing to stick the seperate sound track onto it. Is it worth the effort..? That depends on the needs for the job, one's patience and one's budget.

Top of the line: Ask a local technical school to do the shoot for/with you...
With their pro material, results should be better than a completely amateur job, and can cost little/nothing.

Hope this helps; good luck.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1375786176' post='2165477']
Do you just record yourself and then video edit the audio with the sound that has been recorded (I'll be using Logic Pro)
[/quote]

Me, this is pretty much what I do. Use a separate camera and sound equipment and then sync them up on the computer afterwards.

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1375786176' post='2165477']
Hi,

so I've been asked to provide a video for audition for different universities that I'm applying to and wondered how you guys capture your video and audio.

At the moment I have recording equipment for sound but its just the video that I'm a little worried about. Do you just record yourself and then video edit the audio with the sound that has been recorded (I'll be using Logic Pro)

any advice would be helpful

pthanks
[/quote]

What I do is set everything up to record, and also set up my camera. I usually use the camera on my MacBook Pro to record video. Hit record in both at the same time (or as fast as you can) then record yourself playing. When you're done, stop the recording. Edit your track however you like in your DAW, and since you're using Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro, I think you can share it straight between the 2 from Logic. If you're using some other video editing software, just bounce your track as normal into your iTunes or somewhere where you can easily drag the track into your video software. Then it's just the matter of getting them to match together - If you can zoom in, it's easier! Also, if your camera has recorded an audio track, you might be able to line it up with what it recorded, then mute the camera's audio track.