Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Jazz types??

fretmeister

Fender Precision Lyte would get my vote. OK, it is more Precision shaped than a Jazz shape (actually a Stratocaster body shape) but it sounds more like a Jazz than a Precision (especially with pups in the middle blend position). Weighs next to nothing (under 8lbs I think), beautiful *really* skinny and shallow neck. I have a lot of lightweight basses but this is the one I always go to when my back is playing up (like tonight) as it is my most comfortable and balanced bass to wear. There are a couple of beauties on ebay at the moment - black and white.

It all depends on your budget . I can show you plenty of lightweight options in the £2000-3000 price range ;) , but failing that , the Fender Roadworn Jazz's are meant to be pretty light , and you could fit a J-Retro or use an external preamp to go active .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1375814347' post='2166107']
It all depends on your budget . I can show you plenty of lightweight options in the £2000-3000 price range ;) , but failing that , the Fender Roadworn Jazz's are meant to be pretty light , and you could fit a J-Retro or use an external preamp to go active .
[/quote]

Yes, the Road Worn series are fairly light. And amazing playing/sounding basses as well. Add that J-Retro, a cracking bass I reckon.

My Lakland weighs 9.5 lbs and the Lull is 8.5 lbs, which is just about manageable for my back and shoulder these days.

I've been looking at Sadowsky Will Lee basses which come in at high 7 lbs and low 8 lbs.

I also noticed that some Shukers are being chambered.

^^ Those Will Lee Sadowskys are the best ones I've tried. The mid 'bump' available at the flick of a switch really is a nice addition to a preamp that really could benefit from a little more in the way of mids. Pricey though.

Edited by risingson