Why become a member? ×

I've got a rattle.

fretmeister

Once had a rattle on a Hartke cab I used to have, took it to the studio to record my band's album but found when playing the low B loudly there was a rattle. Spent half a day tightening every screw we could find and eventually stripping the cab and re-tightening the screws on each driver and the tweeter to no avail; in the end had to drive into London to hire an Ampeg 4x10, which sadly didn't sound quite as good.

Later found out when I took it down to a guitar shop in Southampton that there was a bloody great staple on the tweeter magnet which was ratteling when the cab was a pushed hard, somehow missed it in the studio. Once we got it working I part-exed it for an EBS.

So I guess what I'm saying is, look for staples, screws etc on the driver magnets.

Solved!

Wasn't a rattle! Tried a different room. Tried the cabs on their own. Happened with both. Tried different basses. Still happened. Then swapped amp heads too....

Finally swapped the Speakon leads. Turns out 1 of them was damaged. Dry joint or shorting a little bit and was actually crackling rather than rattling.

No issues at all with different speakon cables!

Happy bunny again!

I've got a rattle in a Schroeder 1210 - wonder if anyone else experienced the same

speakers seem fine but a couple of loose crimped sort of wire connections. Thought i'd fixed it by tightening/taping those but came back next gig.

Like the suggestion of checking for wires knocking against stuff though - exactly the kind of weird thing you'd never think of otherwise! Will check the horn knob too.

That's my sunday afternoon booked up then... :)