Why become a member? ×

A Lakland Duck Dunn revelation

niceguyhomer

There I was fitting a new pickguard to the DD and out drops the tone pot - attached to nothing. Then I think ahhhhhh, that's why the tone pot seemed to do bugger all.

So I rang Dan the man, and told him my problem and enquired where the green wire coming out of the tone pot goes, so he told me.

A quick solder later - I plugged in the bass and wow...tone control!!!

I've read somewhere - can't remember where that someone else said their tone pot did bugger all too and if you're reading this, rip off the pickguard and see if it's wired to the volume pot.

Intriguing - I thought the whole USP of the Skyline series was that they were essentially manufactured in Korea, but taken back to the good ol' US of A to have the electrics fitted [i][b]properly[/b][/i]!

Incidentally, I recently bought a Skyline 'Bob Glaub' from another BassChatter. Absolutely lovely, but when I looked into installing a Hipshot Drop-D tuner I discovered that the Hipshots fitted as standard are actually also made under licence in Korea, and are different/inferior to the US-made ones.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='217614' date='Jun 12 2008, 01:57 PM']Intriguing - I thought the whole USP of the Skyline series was that they were essentially manufactured in Korea, but taken back to the good ol' US of A to have the electrics fitted [i][b]properly[/b][/i]![/quote]

They are indeed and I'm sure Lakland are ashamed to be the only bass manufacturer to occasionally f*ck up.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='217614' date='Jun 12 2008, 01:57 PM']Incidentally, I recently bought a Skyline 'Bob Glaub' from another BassChatter. Absolutely lovely, but when I looked into installing a Hipshot Drop-D tuner I discovered that the Hipshots fitted as standard are actually also made under licence in Korea, and are different/inferior to the US-made ones.[/quote]

You expect the parts on an £800 bass to be identical to the ones on a bass costing more than twice as much? That's intriguing.

I'm really glad you have transformed the DD Alan, will you be gigging the beast tomorrow night? Did I mention that Alan (of ACG) is presently routing my Warmoth P for a Darkstar pup? It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the Wizard Thumper that came out but it's a one way trip :)

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='217804' date='Jun 12 2008, 05:50 PM']It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the Wizard Thumper that came out but it's a one way trip :)

Peter[/quote]

No it's not. My DD now has an extra piece of wood inserted and a Lindy Fralin P. It more to my liking than the Thumper or the Wizard 64. Next step might be to add the Lindy bridge jazz pick-up.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='217614' date='Jun 12 2008, 01:57 PM']Intriguing - I thought the whole USP of the Skyline series was that they were essentially manufactured in Korea, but taken back to the good ol' US of A to have the electrics fitted [i][b]properly[/b][/i]![/quote]
Tsk... Wouldn't happen on a G&L Tribute... :)

Actually I tried out a Lakland Skyline in a shop in States the other day and was quite impressed with the playability it - it was a Bob Glaub I think. It was $1000 and the guy said it didn't even come with a gig bag!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='217804' date='Jun 12 2008, 04:50 PM']I'm really glad you have transformed the DD Alan, will you be gigging the beast tomorrow night?
Peter[/quote]

I'll probably use it first set and see how it sounds. Funny acoustics in Dickie Doodles, what with the shape of the room and the lack of furnishings (and probably people :) ).

Be good to see you mate.

Homer.
mine was fine but did you have to put some conductive tape on the back of the pick guard?
When i changed mine all i got was a loud hum until i realised what was going on. the pots weren't earthed at all.

I find that the tone pot on my DD is very nice to use. not really used them much in the past due to not liking how the sound changes but i really like backing it right off for some songs. makes a nice warm sound. I missed this when i had a HW1 recently.

I must admit i quite liked the look of it without the PG.

Sort of falling out with it now though. Im finding (like you did originally) that the string balence isnt even. Could just be a duff set of Lakland strings but i certainly dont have as much praise for it as i did a month or so ago.
Still great though but im going to use my 55-01 this weekend for a change.

Edited by dave_bass5

I must admit that I had thoughts of a clear scratchplate when I saw it without the pickguard! I like it with the mint green one I've stuck on - but I must admit it does look a bit odd with the pure white binding on the neck. Methinks an aged white pearl from Roger at Jeannie's (who makes Lakland's scratchplates) is on the cards when I get back from holiday. I did have to put copper tape on the back (it hummed) but I always do that anyway.

I've sorted the string imbalance thing out - I just changed the strings to my usual DR nickels - didn't like the original strings at all. I've also tried some LaBella Deep Talkin' flats on it and if I was just using it in the bedroom - they'd definitely stay on but the rest of the band don't like the sound of flats so I've put the nickels back on for now.

I think I will stick with this bass - it's put together beautifully, it's relatively light and well balanced, stays in tune and the neck is sublime but I think I will change the pup at some point - possibly adding a J pup as well (PJ combination is my ideal).

We'll see.

Yeah, i still want a Pearl white PG. I feel it will match the white binding better.
The original white PG came with the tape on it but i didnt notice it at first, and the Jeannie's ones dont (Roger told me this).

Have you got a pic of yours with the MG PG?

Ive always liked the Lakland strings and the ones i have on now are the same as the ones it came with.
Could be that i have a duff set. The E is very soft but it has been fine in the past (with the same type of strings). I've got a set of Elixiers to put on, might do that sooner rather than later.

I do worry about how close the G is to the edge of the neck. Ive actually had my finger fall off it twice now but thats probably just bad playing on my part

Dunno, think im just being a bit picky and a bit negative at the moment. Ill not be getting rid of it in any case. I love the sound of the P and this is the best version i have heard. Also thinking about getting some chrome's but after three false starts with TI's im not sure flats are for me.

Got my first gig with my new 1212L tomorrow, looking forward to that. Im sure all my negativity will disappear.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='218117' date='Jun 13 2008, 09:36 AM']Yeah, i still want a Pearl white PG. I feel it will match the white binding better.
The original white PG came with the tape on it but i didnt notice it at first, and the Jeannie's ones dont (Roger told me this).[/quote]

Roger speak with forked tongue! The mirror black one I bought from him for the DS pick-up had tape on it. The latest one didn't however I discovered that you can get self-adhesive copper tape from the local garden centre. Apparently it's one method of slug repellant. No slugs in my bass. :)

[quote name='obbm' post='218122' date='Jun 13 2008, 09:47 AM']Roger speak with forked tongue! The mirror black one I bought from him for the DS pick-up had tape on it. The latest one didn't however I discovered that you can get self-adhesive copper tape from the local garden centre. Apparently it's one method of slug repellant. No slugs in my bass. :)[/quote]

I had to buy a whole reel from Maplin,s just for one bit :-(.

Any pics? Just looking for ideas as im really not happy with the balck one i have. Nothing wrong with the colour really, just that i think it looks cheap.