Why become a member? ×

Talk To Me About Musicman Basses Please.......

bagsieblue

The USA MM SUBs are fantastic basses. Really not much other that aesthetics when it comes to comparing those and real modern Stingrays.

Some have the pickup wired in series, unlike a Stingray. I personally think that works really well with a 2-band EQ, perhaps because it's a little punchier and more mid-rich. But both are great.

If you want a Stingray without spending much... the answer is a MM SUB (the USA model only). It *is* a Stingray.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1376064215' post='2169273']
G&L - the improved Stingray.
[/quote]

except it sounds nothing like a Stingray! :lol:

I see it more like a deriveation from a Jazz, rather... even 'though it really it's a different bass altogether. But the placement of the pickups means you sort of get a Jazz sound, and a very FAT Jazz sound from the bridge pickup (parallel and series respectively), and a kind of P-bass type of sound from the neck pickup too. It does not, in any combination, get a sound that's reminiscent of a Stingray.

Fantastic bass, the L2000 (which I assume is the model you are talking about).
I have a L2000 that I modified. I removed the preamp, which I really did not care for, and installed a 3-band MMSR Stingray preamp from John East. If the L2000 was a beast before, now it's a veritable monster.

I have a SBMM SB-14 which I like a lot. Single pup with various coil switching options, 3 band eq - changing the tone using the mid control seems particularly effective - full on it is very aggressive. Relatively lightweight at around 9lbs but better balanced on the strap than any other bass I have. A Jazz width neck that is slightly deeper than a Jazz but very comfortable. Beautifully finished and really nice to play. As has been said it cuts through the mix amazingly well and was one of my two main gigging basses for the rock covers band I was in. I actually prefer the tone of a Precision, but this has its place for sure.

I sometimes think it would be nice to 'upgrade' to a Sterling, but then I wonder what a Sterling would offer that this can't do? Anyone have or tried both that can comment, at all?

Had a Stingray that was a 2 EQ version with maple neck. Nice bass. However, it had a weak "G" string which is apparently a known issue. Also struggled to get it to sit in the mix as well as other basses. Definitely had its own tone and was well built and highly playable but not as flexible as some other basses that i have used so ended up swapping it out for a Fretless Jazz Bass.

I,ve got a 2003 EBMM Musicman SUB the USA one and it is fabulous.
I tried it back to back with a Classic Stingray and there was no difference,both slab bodied and 2 band.
If you like the looks then get one ,I like the cosmetics although I have changed the scratchplate to a black one,carbon fibre and fitted a d-tuner.
Played it for years and worn through the paint on the neck a bit in places-reliced ?.Bullet proof finish for gigging
Up to yerself what way you go-S/H is the way to go.
The active circuit is savage coming from a passive but it,s handy playing live you can cut as well as boost.