Why become a member? ×

for gigs. heads and cabs or combos?

mattphillips

It is getting to that point now where the band that I am in is starting to think about playing shows. I was wondering in terms of expense and portability what peoples opinions on gigging with combos or heads and cabs was. Also do most venues usually have bass cabs or are other bassists usually quite accommodating in allowing cabs to be used if you bring your own head. I live in central London and portability is a big issue for me, so taking just a head to a show would be much easier than finding a way of transporting a bigger rig. thanks, Matt

It's up to you. I went for a 2x10 combo as I can easily carry it from the car in one hand, pedal board in't other & bass over my shoulder & don't have to worry if the house cab has blown drivers & if the house cab is fine, I can plug it into my combo if needed.
But you could just as easily pop a small head in the pocket on your bass case & carry a cab in the back of the car for emergencies/having a decent sound.

Same as above really, though my amp is a 112 combo, plus a 112 ext cab should I need a bit more.

But, in answer to the query re venues, many have a house amp, and it`s usually a 100 watt combo of some sort. So a head wouldn`t really help in this situation. What would however is some form of pedal where you get your sound from. I do this with a Zoom B3 - I have my amp set flat, then plug the B3 into it. This way, no matter what amp I use, I`m getting roughly "my" sound, plus if I need to DI to FOH, again, my sound goes out there.

Some Class D amps can be used without connecting up a cab, so you could do this, and then DI straight to FOH.

On many shows in that London, the venues issue instructions to the bands to agree on a backline between them, which I think is out of order. If they want quick changeovers, then supply the rigs. But, not going to happen, so again, having something that can produce a good approximation of your sound through a range of different amps & PAs will be a bonus.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1376093596' post='2169786']
the query re venues, many have a house amp, and it`s usually a 100 watt combo of some sort.
[/quote]
Really?
I have NEVER played a venue with house backline. A FOH PA yes nut never backline.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1376096700' post='2169798']
Really?
I have NEVER played a venue with house backline. A FOH PA yes nut never backline.
[/quote]
It might just be a London thing. At a guess I'd say 40% of the gigs I play in London have some form of backline available, and most of the rest encourage or insist on sharing gear.

For the OP, you do need your own backline - you can get by with sharing or using the house kit for a while, but you'll come unstuck sooner or later. I'm guessing you'd like to use public transport, which is doable with a trolley and the right gear. Do you have a budget in mind?

Power, portability, budget; these are your primary concerns I reckon, the first 2 will probably be governed by the last. 12" cabs are getting a lot of love at the moment and I used a 2x12 for years as a 1 cab solution. Get out and try a few (with your bass) that fit your budget and see/hear what you like best. As you're in London I'd suggest a visit to The Gallery in Camden, or take a trip down to Epsom to Guitar Guitar (not far on the train), both are very accommodating IME.

If you're going to start gigging you need transport.

I have no experience of "6 bands a night playing for free" type gigs. So I can't comment on that.

We usually turn up to an empty room and have to provide everything. That's what you should be aiming to do. If you don't need something, leave it in the van, but you could be in trouble if you turn up to a gig expecting stuff to be provided, only to find it isn't.