Why become a member? ×

using a power supply on an onboard preamp

Shonks

anyone tried this?
I've a PSU for pedals that can run up to about 10 pedals.
I only use a tuner and compressor so I have quite a bit of capacity left.
I've made quite a long cable from the psi to the pedal so the actual psu unit itself stays behind my amp. This idea works well.
It then occurred to me that it could be used to power my JEast preamp.
A bit nervous about trying it however as I dont want to blow up the amp - suggestions - is it workable?

:sun_bespectacled:

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1376932420' post='2181124']
A few pros and cons came up in this thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/110954-remote-power-for-active-basses/page__hl__remote%20power"]http://basschat.co.u..._remote%20power[/url]
[/quote]thanks for that.....!!!

I read the linked thread. I would sum up by saying that new preamps and active pickups draw so little current, that if the instrument has a proper, accessible battery box, I would stick with the battery because stability is not an issue any more with low-current draw op-amp chips, which get in the thousands of hours out of a standard 9-volt alkaline battery, and the risks of inducing noise and hum from potential earth loops outweighs what is a negligible chance of failure -- after all, who doesn't carry extra batteries to gigs now? And one more point occurred as I was typing this: EMG, for example, do not ground their pickups and circuits to the bridge plate as with conventional passive. This provides a further element of isolation and protection from electric shock. This is lost when using the outboard power supply.

yeh! - I've given up on the idea, although my 'series one Alembic' did it and it was good to know your on full power all time.

I've installed isolation switches on all my basses now so if in passive mode i can switch off the battery so there's no drain.
Particularly handy if you have more than one bass on stage and the other is plugged in and on standby.