Why become a member? ×

Tuning Issues !

ML94

Hi guys

I've noticed today that whatever song I play is a half step down from the original. Normally I would play smooth operator in D minor but I've had to take it down half a step. I thought that it may have been a rubbish recording so i tried another and another and another song. Same thing happens with all of them. I've used numerous tuners and have got them almost perfect E,A,D,G but still I have to play for example, Daft punk's get lucky in Bb minor rather than B minor.

Is there something wrong with the bass ?

I think it's worth mentioning that I've recently been fighting the flu (yes in Summer!) but I wouldn't have thought that my ears would DETUNE !

I'm getting quite worried now as I don't know if it's my ears or the bass !

EDIT: I've played the same songs on piano and its not my ears. Thank god for that

Edited by ML94

Have you checked your tuner hasn't been reset half a step up?

I played a gig once where the guitarist had managed to to do this. It wasn't the best on-stage sound, but something sounded definitely off all the way through the set. Our drummer kept asking us the check our tuning as from where he was sitting it was seriously rank, and we both checked our tuners and reported that we were perfectly in tune (just as it turned out not with each other). It wasn't until the rehearsal the next week that it became apparent what had happened!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376846586' post='2179877']
Have you checked your tuner hasn't been reset half a step up?

I played a gig once where the guitarist had managed to to do this. It wasn't the best on-stage sound, but something sounded definitely off all the way through the set. Our drummer kept asking us the check our tuning as from where he was sitting it was seriously rank, and we both checked our tuners and reported that we were perfectly in tune (just as it turned out not with each other). It wasn't until the rehearsal the next week that it became apparent what had happened!
[/quote]

I'm using one of those snark clip on tuners. I don't think they can reset to a half step but just to be sure I'm putting in a new battery right now

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1376847776' post='2179906']
Intonation?
[/quote]

That's what I thought but i sat there with a tuner playing each and every note and to my suprise they were all in tune. Not perfect. But in tune.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376847848' post='2179908']
What are you playing the recordings on?
[/quote]

Just through my amp with an auxiliary cable

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1376848354' post='2179927']
My snark can tune and and down in semitones.. I bet thats what it is
[/quote]

Me too. My mini-headstock tuner can be set so that A = something other than 440Hz. Worth looking at.

Edited by discreet

Okay so I just checked the tuner and it had tuned a little sharper. I also used one on my ipad which also said it was alright, bang on. I now tried one on my iPhone called chromatuner or something like that and have tuned it half step down. I've played with it for about 20 minutes not but because I'm a paranoid nutter it's not going to sound in tune untill a new day dawns !

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1376848800' post='2179938']
Am i correct in thinking that each fret's tuning is not going to be perfect but it's got to be close ? Atm, I'll get at the 12th fret on the D string -16.6 cent. How much is okay ?
[/quote]
16 is a long way out

play the harmonic at 12th fret on open string and then play the string fretted at 12th frey and compare the frequencies - if the intonation is set up correctly they should be within a couple of cents of each other