Why become a member? ×

Anyone Else Notice This?

Lowender

...or maybe I should say, come to the same conclusion? Agree? Disagree? But...

Around 2007 or so, Fender really stepped up their game. They made some improvements in their American Standard Series and they were substantial.

The 2013 models have been supposedly upgraded once again and now include custom shop pickups.

And they just don't sound as good to me.

Beyond that, the 2007-2012 models all felt very solid -- like a boutique bass. But the new ones feel a little cheaper. I honestly can't tell the difference between a 2013 American Standard Jazz and a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz. Now I happen to think the CV is a great bass. But it's a third of the price of an American Standard.

I not only can't see justifying the cost of the new AS Fenders but I do think they've slipped a notch.

Anyone else noticing this or is it just me?

I haven't played an '08 model Fender, but played a couple of '12 model Precisions recently and was in 2 minds about them, on one hand I loved the neck, really comfortable and I think the 1.625" nut width is just right for me, they were also unbelievably light.

On the other hand, and to your point, I wasn't so impressed with the tone, very good, but not too Stellar - far more low end than was useable, particularly on the rosewood model, and this was with fresh strings in the shop.

Edited by Graham

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1376948679' post='2181514']
I haven't played an '08 model Fender, but played a couple of '12 model Precisions recently and was in 2 minds about them, on one hand I loved the neck, really comfortable and I think the 1.625" nut width is just right for me, they were also unbelievably light.

On the other hand, and to your point, I wasn't so impressed with the tone, very good, but not too Stellar - far more low end than was useable, particularly on the rosewood model, and this was with fresh strings in the shop.
[/quote]

Agreed. Exactly what I felt. The neck is nice. And they are lighter . And although the maple and rosewood fingerboards are supposedly the same dimensions, the rosewood just feels more like a vintage 60's neck, which I like. But they were surprisingly thin sounding and flimsy feeling. (Maybe due to being lighter?) And on a couple of occasions there were some buzzing notes, even though the set up was fine. Very dissapointing.

Edited by Lowender

I`ve not played a 2013 but the 2011 I have is my best Precision ever. I also had briefly a 2008 and it also was very good. The 2012 I had played beautifully and was very light, but I wasn`t as keen on the pickup in the 12 as in the 08 Series. Disappointing if they`re letting things slip.

I agree. This could be down to the basses I've personally tried, but I think the 2008-2011's (especially on the P side) were better.

I am wondering exactly what that custom shop pickup is in the P bass. To me, it sounded quite 'muddy' but this could have been a number of factors, including the amp.

I've noticed the neck finish isn't quite as slick and impressive, and the maple boarded versions don't seem to have as thick a gloss on the board from 2012 onwards. Cases/hardware/weight are damn good, but the strings have also taken a turn for the worse. I think Fender changed their string manufacturer in 2011/12 and it was immediately noticable to me.

Previously, these AS had the whole package for about £900.00, which was a good deal. We are only talking 2 years ago.

Now, I'd think twice. I've had a few 08s-11s and some of them were very good, (the first two) some weren't so hot, etc etc. However, along the way I obtained my current '09 P bass and '11 Jazz, and to me, they are the best looking/feeling/sounding Fender basses that I have owned.

It's not putting me off getting one, I'm strongly leaning towards trading in my Duck Dunn for an American Standard, but I think I'd go used from the '08-'11 era and possibly change the pickup for a Fralin/BK/Nordstrand....etc

Yeap, I can echo that. I owned a 2002 Precision and have played a few S1 Jazz's in my time. They were okay; nothing special. I owned a 2008 white/rosewood Jazz bass which was a great bass. So good I bought another; a 2010 sunburst/maple Jazz, which was even better. Truly a killer instrument. Turns out one was enough, so I ended up selling the white one. Played a couple of the ones with custom shop pick-ups including one of the hand stained ones and they just sounded flat and played somewhat clunky. Just didn't have the "nice" feeling or playability that I had from the two I owned.

Edited by Ziphoblat