Why become a member? ×

Status Shark?

mathewsanchez

Hi guys, i've been offered a Status Shark in a trade, the single chrome pickup model, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one. I'm not really concerned about value or condition, I was just wondering if anyone could describe the tone. I've seen one described as sounding like a musicman, is this true? Does anyone have any videos/soundclips?

Thanks,

Mat

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='218730' date='Jun 14 2008, 10:18 AM']Difficult to describe. They play like any other Status, fast & lithe, but soundwise, they're like a more woody version, if that makes any sense? They still have some of the graphite growl as they have the graphite rods through the neck.[/quote]

Cheers, that's helped a lot. The thing is I won't be able to try the bass before I trade it so i'm going in for it a bit blind. I will probably go ahead with the trade as i'm interested to expand my experience with different basses.

Thanks again for your help.

I had a 5 string Shark about 10 years ago and it was quite like a MusicMan. I think the Groove took that idea one stage further for Status.

A very well made bass and surprisingly good for the money.. Played very well and was better than the Yamaha 5 I had at the time.

I had a four string shark with the chrome pup, it sounded superb, however...this version had serious neck issues - my one was no different - couldn't be fixed! information came from a tech who had worked on every status shark 4 sold from the chain of shops. you may have just gotten lucky!

[quote name='andy67' post='219001' date='Jun 14 2008, 09:29 PM']I had a four string shark with the chrome pup, it sounded superb, however...this version had serious neck issues - my one was no different - couldn't be fixed! information came from a tech who had worked on every status shark 4 sold from the chain of shops. you may have just gotten lucky![/quote]
Well my neck is superb...