Why become a member? ×

I need to get this right! Pre amp pedal into an amp...

Musicman20

You'll need to power the pedal. As far as I know you can either put the preamp in front of your amp like an effect, or plug it into the effects return to bypass the pre on the amp. I don't think plugging into the effects out is the way to go. But I could be wrong, of course.

Do you want to use it as the preamp and bypass the integrated amp preamp? If yes, you'll need to go from the pedal to the effect return/receive (or however its labelled) so the tonehammer is feeding the power amp direct. Your amp preamp controls will then be redundant.

If you just want it as a dirt box then into the front of the amp will do it.

You'll need to power both the amp and the pedal.

I'd try it into the normal bass input and also into the FX return. See which way sounds better. Be aware that your amp's master volume will probably not work if you plug the tonehammer into the FX return (depends on the layout of the amp) so you will probably need to control your volume with the output volume from the tonehammer in that instance. I mention that to avoid killing your ears when you first plug it in and find yourself at full volume !