Why become a member? ×

Squier CV PJ?

dave_bass5

Has anyone done this to a Squier CV bass?
After playing both a 5 string and a PJ at the last gig, I've just realised how much I'd love a PJ again.
The thing is I really don't want to get rid of my CVP, but don't mind getting it routed for a Jazz pup.
I had my old Lakland DJ5 converted but I didn't think it worked well. Then again, I didn't really get on with that bass, tone wise, before or after (now gutted I sold it of course)

I'm wondering what control options would be best to go for. I'm well aware of the standard vol, vol, tone, but how about vol, mix, tone, or ? I'd rather not use any switches but maybe there is a combination I haven't thought off.
Ill be keeping it passive, and I'd like to keep the knobs to no more than 3.

I already have a Fralin P in it, and definitely can't stretch to a Fralin Jazz, so does anyone have a suggestion for what might work well? I'm almost tempted to put a Wizard 74 in it but I'd rather not spilt the set I already have.

I expect I'll get the Gallery to do the work, it's a bit beyond me, but I'd lie to go in with a firm idea of what I'm after.

Cheers.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1377629101' post='2189683']
I expect I'll get the Gallery to do the work, it's a bit beyond me, but I'd lie to go in with a firm idea of what I'm after.
[/quote]

Have you considered just selling the CV and getting a Squier VM PJ?

[url="http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-precision-bass-pj-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/"]http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-precision-bass-pj-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/[/url]

I'm guessing it will work out cheaper if you're planning to have a luthier do the work, and you can try one before parting with any money so you can get a very firm idea of what the end result will be like :)

Cheers guys. The stack knob idea is appealing, and one I had considered. To be honest I don't really use tone knobs much, although I do need to have one.

Keeping the CV body seems like the least hassle. Its not that I hate it, I'm just not over the moon with the colour. I can certainly live with it.
Who knows when a loaded PJ body that is the right price, in the right colour will come up, and I definitely want to keep using my Fralin and Gotoh bridge, so I'd end up with bits I'd have to try and re sell, even if I put the CV back to stock.