Why become a member? ×

Now this really takes the mick

It's not exactly bass related, but the description in this listing for a Solina String Enemble is incredible:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE-1973-EMINENT-Solina-String-Ensemble-Ver-2-NM-BIN-or-Make-Offer-/231044253444?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item35cb4f8704"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35cb4f8704[/url]

Firstly, ARP never took over Eminent - in fact Eminent outlasted ARP by five or six years. All String Ensembles were made by Eminent in Holland, and simply exported and rebadged for the US market with an ARP sticker on top of the Solina one.

Secondly, the case of all Solinas were made from chipboard (or particle board as the Americans call it) with a veneer. The claim that what the case is made from affects the sound is utter cobblers - this is a completely electronic insturment and the case could be made from plywood without affecting the tone! Judging by the photos, the top and end panels have been replaced at some point but the front panel under the keys is the original light brown chipboard and veneer.

Finally, it's worth $1,000 tops. I paid £250 for my version one Solina earlier this year, in poor condition but fully working. The only difference between a version one and version two Solina is that the latter has a button to switch off the ensemble effect - which I doubt anyone ever uses. I'm seriously considering reporting this listing, as it strikes me as deliberately misleading rather than just ill informed.

Edited by chriswareham

This should be reported for the description alone. The number of spelling/grammar errors and the total bull he has come out with is nigh on criminal in itself. 'This unit is clean and looks rich' is a highlight lol!

Edited by skej21