Why become a member? ×

GK 200mb Distortion

Badaboom

Hi, have a GK200Mb 1x12 amp for more than a decade, and it was about 15 yrs old when I bought it. Lovely sounding, excellent portability. Speaker was replaced last year and box fully sealed up - but it has developed some muddy distortion at low/mid volume specifically on lower frets of E string but also on A if bass is cranked up. Latest tech to take a look at it suggested it might be the limiter as the speaker/sealing is ok... however it sounds fine through a MBX112 cab which is essentially the same speaker config. Anyone had similar experience with this amp or MB150 versions?

Could be the foam edge on the speaker, they rot after 15 years or so - mine went suddenly, and I just noticed one day that the low end seemed to have gone...then saw the speaker had lost most of its edge. I probably did two or three gigs with it like that before I looked! Good news is it can be-edged or replaced (got one from Thomann) but getting into the cab is a job in itself..then sealing it up again.

Question is, is it electric or physical? Another good trick is to put a short jack to jack cable between the effects send and return jacks. The socket on the return is switched, and that can cause similar symptoms if it gets corroded. Its a link to the power amp section so any problems there are usually audible.

The metal cab and front grill are prone to rattles - look for stripped screws (you will find some!) or missing rubber gasket around the grill?

Best of luck - nice amps!