Why become a member? ×

Live Chatroom?

Freddy Le Cragg

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1378229965' post='2197434']
Some of the forums I frequent have a live Java chatroom. Its a great way to get to know other posters etc. In fact, I met my wife in one dedicated to Dr Who!
Any chance of getting one on here?
[/quote]

Why, are you looking for another wife?

Some of the forums I frequent have a live Java chatroom. Its a great way to get to know other posters etc. In fact, I met my wife in one dedicated to Dr Who!
[/quote]

Bugger, I've now got this weird scenario in my head about you trying to persuade her to dress up like a Dalek :blink:

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1378246215' post='2197793']
oh dear this isnt good if we all end up meeting wives on here that will mean less opportunity for unrestricted GAS :o
[/quote]
If you met someone on here would that not be GAS squared? You both just end up enabling the other :lol:

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1378269023' post='2197871']
If you met someone on here would that not be GAS squared? You both just end up enabling the other :lol:
[/quote]

I'm not sure I'd want to be 'enabled' by anyone here... :unsure:

(...[i]but then again, don't knock it if you haven't tried it, eh..?[/i] ;) )

I think you can join basschat at 13 (correct me if I'm wrong) All the safeguards you would have to put in place for a live chatroom would make it impossible to administrate. Besides all it would take is a single comment to be taken out of context and we'd end up as a story in the daily mail....

Rob

[/quote]
We looked into that a loooong time ago when the atmosphere was less stable than it was now and...at the time it was going to take a lot of managing and the number of people who actually wanted this feature was quite low. There's no harm in someone starting a poll though and if there's enough demand then we'll look into it. Webcams use will be charged per minute. ;)

We also looked into profiles like facebook on here but when we polled on it, most people couldn't be bothered with it given they already had Facebook..Bebo...GooglePlus...Flickr...Instagram...Friendster...Twitter etc. However I think Facebook is becoming increasingly devious with it's privacy controls and can't be trusted. Whether enough members agree yet also remains to be seen...

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1378299055' post='2198287']
We also looked into profiles like facebook on here but when we polled on it, most people couldn't be bothered with it given they already had Facebook..Bebo...GooglePlus...Flickr...Instagram...Friendster...Twitter etc. However I think Facebook is becoming increasingly devious with it's privacy controls and can't be trusted. Whether enough members agree yet also remains to be seen...
[/quote]

I'd like to have a profile on this site, actually. I imagine it as a less basic version of the Status update we already have. We would be able to have a more easily displayable profile photo, update our status, perhaps post links to our flickr/picasa etc. accounts or publish our photos on the profile (storage/bandwidth of this site's server permitting). For instance, what use are the "friends" we have here? We don't get preferred updates from them, or indeed have any more interaction with them than with all other members. So yes, I'd be in favour of a slightly more complete profile feature on here.

As for Facebook, Steve - it's now mostly driven by marketing ideals, and the main currency is our data, our eyeballs, and ultimately our wallets. I'm using it as my little black book of music-related contacts, and it works fabulously for sharing events, Basschat projects such as the We Need Strings and the Basschat Relay, for inviting people to gigs and our Bashes, sharing band pages and my Basschat-related blogs, etc.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1378299588' post='2198305']
I'd like to have a profile on this site, actually. I imagine it as a less basic version of the Status update we already have. We would be able to have a more easily displayable profile photo, update our status, perhaps post links to our flickr/picasa etc. accounts or publish our photos on the profile (storage/bandwidth of this site's server permitting). For instance, what use are the "friends" we have here? We don't get preferred updates from them, or indeed have any more interaction with them than with all other members. So yes, I'd be in favour of a slightly more complete profile feature on here.[/quote]

Personally, I like the idea of being more of a social network and continuing to create a safe place to share things with each other. I think the sense of community on BC is one of its core assets and anything we can do to make that stronger is only going to help the community.

I'll have a chat with our developer and Chris about it as a longer term goal after the other two forums are set up and establishing.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1378299588' post='2198305']
For instance, what use are the "friends" we have here? We don't get preferred updates from them, or indeed have any more interaction with them than with all other members.
[/quote]
I've been on here a couple of years and have no friends on here. I don't know..... maybe it's my attitude......not that i care! Everyone can f*** off!! :D